Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
15-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #81

Re: Pebbles is having to go to the vets tomorrow

Cheers everyone, I do hope this shows the prob and we can start sorting it. Apparently cats with dental issues sometimes prefer dry as it doesn't get stuck in the holes in their teeth - Tom was like that.

Almost a Veteran Member

16-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #82

Not excellent news, I'm afraid. The bone doesn't look good, it is a lot
shorter than the other one, so the pin wasn't that successful (prob why
there has been a weakness in it for so long, but on the first x-rays it
did look like it was necessary to remove it) and there is a lot of
changes due to bad inflammation but no sign of bone tumours (one of my
worries). She wants her on a high dosage of antirobe (should be fun),
and 2 drops of MEtacam for 2 weeks, as she does seem to be in a lot of
pain (Which I did know with the lack of eating and movement). If there
is no positive improvement in 2 weeks, we may have to look at
amputation - which had already crossed my mind, and as she is an older cat, it could take longer for it to heal, but the vet wants to just concentrate
on getting the meds into her and hoping for an improvement. So another
two weeks of praying that there is no further setback, and that she
improves enough to not have to lose her leg, but I would rather be
pessimistic about that, rather than get my hopes up and it turn out to
happen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
16-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #83

I'm sorry it wasn't better news {hug}. At least you got some answers, one positive (no tumour!). Fingers will stay crossed, thought I think you are right to expect the amputation.

Almost a Veteran Member

16-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #84

Cheers - I feel OK with it really, I don't know why - maybe it is the fact that I was right, that leg wasn't right, and that hopefully the tablets will do something, even if it is reduce the pain she is in, but either way, we have a timescale to work on now. The vet initially said that she wanted her on strong antibiotics for 2 weeks and then recheck, and then towards the end of the conversation said it could take 4-6 weeks for the inflammation to reduce, but if there is a setback then we will have to rethink. IF in 2 weeks there is no change, and the vet cant guarantee any change with further tablets, I wont agree to keeping her on them, even though I don't like the idea of the alternative, as if there isnt a good chance of improvement, then it is better to amputate, as at the moment she is in agony according to the vet, and I already knew she wasn't right in herself, so dont see the point in prolonging it if the chances of improvement are very slim. HOpe that doesn't seem too awful - my friend (who I got her off) e-mailed me back and asked if there was a measured consideration of whether she would survive an amputation, so at least I am not the most pessimistic person about it - I am sure hte vet wouldn't have mentioned it (I asked about it just before she got chance to mention it though) if the risks were too high - my neighbour didn't think they would do it at her age, and the vet said the recovery time is longer if they are older, but if she can't use the leg that much and is in pain with it, then it is the better option.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #85

So sorry it wasn't better news BT.........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #86

So sorry the news wasn't better BT

Almost a Veteran Member

16-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #87

I have been shown the x-rays and am not sure if there is any chance of saving that leg, or if saving it now will be the best thing long term - you can see signs of arthritis on the x-ray, the leg is quite a bit shorter than the other one - it looks like the two ends of the fracture have joined next to each other rather than in a straight line, there is inflammation there and there is a decrease in the muscle on the lower half of her leg. She didn't eat a lot at the vets either, poor thing (I took her normal food with her!!). We also have Primula cheese and chicken livers to get through the pills, as she has to have 2 a day, which is effectively 100mg - I might end up deciding during the two weeks that it isn't fair to carry on, as she had the op 3 weeks ago and has only had one good week since then, and the vet feels that she might be in agony with it - I dont think I would go that far with how she is, but I would certainly say in pain and discomfort.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #88

Poor Pebbles. So sorry the news wasnt better. Best wishes to you both. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
16-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #89

You know best and can make the right decision for her. We'll be here for support, though.

Almost a Veteran Member

16-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #90

Cheers - I keep telling myself that at least cancer was ruled out, as cancer and amputation were my biggest fears, and cancer was the worst, we can deal with amputation, I know a couple of people who have had to have legs amputated on older cats, but the vet said we could be looking at a 3-6 month recovery and I think she will be a lot happier with it done. The more I am talking about it, the more I want to forget the meds and just go ahead with it, but the vet obv thinks it is worth trying first, but the lack of eating is concerning me incredibly, and I do think if it continues for much longer, I will end up ringing the vet and telling her how I feel, as she has already gone from 4.02 to 3.63kg in 3 weeks, I didn't ask if she had been weighed today, and if she loses too much, it could have a very negative effect on her.