Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #101

Re: Stray cat - "Squiffy"

His former one apparently didn't suit or he wouldn't keep going walkabout.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #102

Any joy yet Angie?

Either something has happened that has prevented the woman from getting back in touch emergency/health family wise.

OR

You know I get the feeling the woman only phoned because the children miss him....did she say she missed him?....I am starting to wonder if she gave your hubby the wrong number on purpose.

I think she has given up on him or does not want him as anyone missing their cat would have been back on the phone to you almost everyday and asked for your address or area so they would know where to search......in fact if it were one of mine I tell ya.... you'd see me camped out in the car..........in the area with whiskas/cooked hot chicken/lamb/tinned salmon and fish in hand calling till I would call no more then "tinking" mental spoon on china plate........clambering through bushes, ditches and over back garden fences....ear pressed to closed sheds garages....etc ...and that would be complete with hysterectomy restrictions.....so without I would be in a tree or two height advantage,

So I think she has decided he's gone... who cares.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #103

I agree with you. Certainly I'd be doing all those things if I thought it may be a missing cat of mine.

I have put up a poster in our local farm shop this morning and will ask to put the same up at the Co-op tomorrow in the village where she says she lives. How long I give then until I say "He's not your cat any more" - depends really. I think you are right. It wasn't herself who saw the poster but a friend - I'd have been right out to look at the poster to see if it was my cat (he's a distinctive looking boy and the photo is a good likeness). Now, if I'd done that and could say NO, that's not my cat .............. would I have phoned to say it was a case of mistaken identity? Probably not.

If after X weeks (to be determined) I have had no response from her or anyone else, then Squiffy will be registered with the vet in my name and I'll be using that neutering voucher then Kazz. If he wants to stay with me, he'll then have to behave himself with Kizzy and Pip, but I'm prepared to cross that bridge if the need arises. He is a nice cat and deserves a good home.

I was ashamed of myself this morning. A very very pretty cat has appeared in the garden - obviously not a stray and I found myself thinking, now if that was a stray ........... but soundly told myself off! Looks aren't everything!

Catsey Veteran

10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #104

Sounds like a good plan to me, Angie. So often those toms turn into real pussycats after the op. How long are you going to give it ... I think another month would do it for me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #105

Good Lord who spread the word in the local catworld ...that you are a "open door policy"

Catsey Veteran

10-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #106

It's the cat grapevine I suspect. Carolyn took in and rehomed three strays before dear Onyx! They just kept showing up!

Catsey Veteran

10-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #107

I think they leave secret marks on gateposts like it used to be said gypsies did if they found a kind person!

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #108

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with the nice man who runs the village website where we put a copy of the poster about Squiffy. It's a long and convoluted tale (tail) about several people who know Squiffs as a visitor to their gardens and one person who wishes to remain anonymous and says the cat is hers but she doesn't want him back.

So, taking that as gospel (there are big holes and possibilities off in all directions I know) I shall now go and talk to my vet tomorrow and get Squiffs booked in to be neutered as my cat. I will adopt him and be responsible for him - if he wants. I hope that as he is a friendly chap he will realise where his bread is buttered and will stick around. If he's still here when the weather turns, I hope he'll stay put.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #109

Well, well, well. I had a feeling this saga would conclude in this manner It's been a bit of an up and down ride, but if this chap is on the level (and no reason why he shouldn't be), it's a shame that Squiffy's owner couldn't have been equally honest with you.

Let's hope he's around for many years to come!

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #110

Well, looks as if it were meant to be. I suspect he does know what side his bread is buttered on, and hope after the op he'll become less aggressive with Kizzy and Pip and can be a happy house cat!