Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #151

Re: Sleep promotion tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Well, I bought some of these today, so will see how I get on with them.
Good luck BT *feels responsible after having mentioned these things without having tried them*

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #152

WEll, cant say I got an undisturbed night's sleep, but that was down to the cats. I did find it easier to drop back off after being disturbed though, so will be carrying on with them.

Catsey Veteran

05-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #153

Sounds hopeful?

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
09-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #154

Sorry guys just caught this thread

Anyway, here me two bobs worth....

When you go to bed are you tired at all? I feel that Ideally we should feel 'ready' for sleep when we go to bed, otherwise we won't get off so well.

Here's a quick routine on what to try.

Important: Drink 2 litres of bottled, not tap, water per day, and try to finish the 2 litres by at least 4 hours b4 bedtime (or u will just need to get up to p!).

Make sure you seperate water intake from food intake, so try not to drink half hour before or after a meal (ideally an hour b4 or after - the further the better).

If you are not used to drinking this much water, build up to it slowly, eg half a litre per day the first week, 1 lts a day the next week then 2 litres a day the week after. (If you feel any pain in your tummy area reduce the intake, if worried about the pain see a doc).

After your last water for the day, NO MORE drinks after wards (unless water!) in other words no hot chocolate or cola or tea! lol

In addition to drinking the water, cut out all other drinks with caffiene/chemicals/sugar etc, basically, stick to drinking just water. Also, do not add any squash or other flavours to the water, it must be plain natural water. The reason for this is your body needs water every single day and by not getting it it suffers. Other drinks are not the same, because your body will see them more as a pollutant rather than water (because of their additives/chemicals etc)

So why is water the key? Because it helps flush out all the things that are 'irritating' your system thus keeping you awake.

If there is no medical reason for you staying awake (ie an underlying illness) then the water system will certainly help you. If you feel its helping you can always go a step further and cut out 'rubbish' (chemicals, processed sugars etc) from your diet.

Another thing you can do is a it of excersize to help make you feel tired for bed... get the excersize bike out

Anyway hope this helps - remember the key is to be as natural as possible, because thats how your body was designed to be most efficient with.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #155

Another thing you can do is a it of excersize to help make you feel tired for bed... get the excersize bike out

I can't find time for the exercise bike now I've got Catpages Azz so I can blame you for my lack of sleep!!!
Seriously though, your info makes sense....I do drink nearly 2 litres of water a day but not separate from food and not finishing 4 hours before bedtime

I hope you are practising what you preach Azz because looking at the time you posted that, you are a night owl too!!

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
09-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #156

lol Mags, u know me night owl

let us know how u get on if u try it

Global Moderator

09-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #157

Will do Azz!

Catsey Veteran

21-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #158

Mags
6 weeks on - any improvement/new developments?
I noticed one 'daily shred' where you said you'd still been awake at 4am (poor you) but wondered if there was any change generally?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
21-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #159

I cannot sleep either I can manage to fall asleep during the day esp. when I am back from work around 2pm ish but at night its a NOOOOO NOOOO, so doc gave me sleeping tablets, which I am getting from the chemist tonightx

Mags??????? What are these sleep cones??????

I have only just saw this thread?

Julie x

Global Moderator

21-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Mags
6 weeks on - any improvement/new developments?
I noticed one 'daily shred' where you said you'd still been awake at 4am (poor you) but wondered if there was any change generally?
I still get nights when I can't drop off until 4 or 5am although not as many as I used to, DM. Some nights I can get to sleep about 2.00am (which is good for me!). I suppose I get about 3 really good nights sleep a week now which is an improvement
Maybe I don't need the sleep as I never feel tired enough to drop off during the daytime! Thanks for asking!