Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #11

Re: I may not be on today.

Exactly the same at my Grandma's when I was a child...coal fires in kitchen and LR, but there was a vent in the bathroom upstairs. Hadn't thought of that in years, CM!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #12

I was in my 20's before my parents had central heating installed. Just like you CM and Eileen's Grandma - they had coal fire in the living room and a back boiler in the kitchen that heated the water. The coal fire got replaced with an electric fire - hate to think how much that would have cost to run in today's prices.

Both my dad and I suffered from bad chests.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #13

Hope you'll soon be feeling warmer there, typical that it's happened when you're having such cold weather at the moment.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #14

I can pack up and send by emergency delivery a not quite 40lb water bottle with fur linning by the name of Sal if that helps.
Hope you are warmer now Eileen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #15

LOL isn't central heating a Godsend? I still (secretly) consider it a luxury because when at home with my parents we only had night storage heaters . . . which were truly useless. I used to spend the evening sitting in my parents' tiny kitchen with the gas cooker on or ontop of one of the radiators because the heat was so localised. My Mum had to create the biggest row on this planet to get my Dad to agree to CH . . . and then only out of her own savings

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #16

We hd coal fire and a huge coke boiler in the kitchen when I was a kid...I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
17-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #17

Mine went twice this winter too Eileen. Glad it's going to be sorted asap, mine was off a whole weekend.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
17-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #18

Hope your boiler gets sorted soon dandysmom! Stay warm!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #19

Lord this brings back memories.....when I was small we had an electric fire in the living room, but when you opened the door the cold rushed in from the hall and everyone would shout "shut the door" before you had touched the handle. Mornings were hell freezing cold I adore central heating.... I had forgotten how much till I read this.....strange how we forget.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Lord this brings back memories.....when I was small we had an electric fire in the living room, but when you opened the door the cold rushed in from the hall and everyone would shout "shut the door" before you had touched the handle. Mornings were hell freezing cold I adore central heating.... I had forgotten how much till I read this.....strange how we forget.
We used to all do this too! - I remember as a kid trying to get dressed in bed as it was warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
We hd coal fire and a huge coke boiler in the kitchen when I was a kid...I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.....
Oh yes, us too - it used to make such pretty patterns.

We are so spoiled now. The kids here moan if there is the slightest hint of cold anywhere in the house