Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
15-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #11

Re: What is the world coming to - scary, scary

It's been all over the news during the week..ill see if i can find a link

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #12

Here is a link to the story Kazz.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/4764417.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #13

It is such a sad fact of today's society Whilst at home yesterday I caught some 'chav TV' by way of the Jeremy Kyle show. OMG - it seems prevalent to just pop babies to 'get a flat (apartment)'!!! These people are ill-equipped to face life in general, one 16 year old yesterday said she wanted to 'have a baby so she could sort her head out'. WHAT!!!!!!! She's in for a nasty shock. And despite being told over and over that she won't get time to breathe let alone sort her head out, it just wasn't sinking in!!!

Although teenage pregnancy has always been a fact of life, there seems to be a new and dangerous 'pride' in the condition. And whereas I feel it's wrong to villify kids who end up pregnant, I would expect some parental/grandparental guidance on how to make the most of one's life without bringing a baby into the world at such a young age

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
16-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #14

Off to read the link....... x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
16-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #15

The girl in Scotland and the people this link was about in the first place are too common these days. And it is not nice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #16

................. and this is exactly why there isn't a prayer of eliminating unwated cats . If they are incapable of taking responsibility for their own breeding, what chance do the feline population have

The throwaway society, in spades. Very sad.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
................. and this is exactly why there isn't a prayer of eliminating unwated cats . If they are incapable of taking responsibility for their own breeding, what chance do the feline population have

The throwaway society, in spades. Very sad.
Very good point DM.........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #18

I'd be so ashamed if it was my daughter giving birth at 11 or 13 or 15

There are no morals and every one seems to think it's the 'norm' for this kind of stuff to happen, well I suppose it is in a way. I had Louise when I was 23 and I still think I was too young then to have a baby.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
17-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #19

I also think 11, 13 or 15 is too young to have a child.

However, if I was a parent of a young teenage mum, I would certainly be upset and diasappointed but I would also continue to love and support my daughter and her child. Just because I would be 'proud' to push my grandchild about in a pram doesn't mean that I would think it is 'right' or 'good' for a young 'child' to be having children - but I wouldn't want to hide my daughter and grandchild away or publicly condemn her, I wouldn't be a good mother myself if I did that in my opinion.

I don't think it is right, but I try to not be judgemental myself. We all make mistakes and there's no point closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. We need to invest more (time, money, resources) into education and these young people (and indeed, their parents) - teach them that babies aren't fashion accessories or an easy way to get a council house and benefits - but I do think we should also be supporting the ones that have got themselves into this situation, if not for them but for the resulting innocent children.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
17-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #20

(i wrote all this out and my PC shut down on its own )

i was young having my children 17 on the first 19 on the second and 23 on the third and he is the last (all with the same man). yes i have followed the family line as my mother was 17 having her first and then went on to have 3 more (all with the same man). and my nan was about the same age and went on to have 2 more (also with the same man) only now am i on benefits as my ex has always worked and i will be going part time when my youngest goes to school, my mother and father also always worked. but this will end with me.
my girls know a bit about sex ed already and they are 7 and 9 and josh will also learn as much as i can teach him as he gets older (he is only 3 now). when my girls get old enough and start there monthly's they will be up the Doc's and put on the pill and i will also have condoms in the house for them to use, yes even if they are not 16, i will be telling them that they are not old enough to be having sex until then but you know what kids are like, my mother didn't know what i was up to when i left the house from the age of about 12 onwards.
i know this will not stop my kids having babies young but i would of done every thing i can to stop that from happening, if they then chosen to have a baby as a teen that's 100% up to them but they will have to make that decisions and go off the pill there will be no 1 nights stands with a baby at the end.

i think that girls these days end up with a baby on the way before they know there boyfriend very well and when they find out that they are still only children themselves it don't work out