Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #11

Re: Missing Wolf

They are not a breed of dog they are a wild animal! I don't own clouded leopards or servals although I love them, I never would want to! That is the comparison!

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
10-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
My former neighbor, Dr. Michael Fox, the vet, had a tame wolf that he had rescued as the only surviving cub from the litter of a deceased mother. He was allowed to do this because of his professional qualifications; I'm uncertain about the laws here about keeping them but think it's not permitted generally. Anyhow, the point of this is, that as a definite non-dog person, the first time I met him out walking with the (then adult) wolf, Tiny, I thought she was a dog. She was extremely friendly. Shortly after, he moved away so don't know what happened to her.
Thank you...the voice of reason x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
10-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I didn't say he bred them but why anyone would want to keep a wolf as a pet is beyond me and such people tend to stick together.
That is certainly a sweeping statement Kel. A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.

And the commnet "such people tend to stick together" does appear to be very childish.

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
That is certainly a sweeping statement Kel. A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.

And the commnet "such people tend to stick together" does appear to be very childish.
It's a fact, they do! I never said they ALL stick together. But there is a whole chain of clubs with wolf/dogs e.t.c, that is their prerogative and i'm not bothered either way, but they do tend to stick together!

And if you want to keep a wolf as pet that's your choice, i'm just saying, they are wild animals and a) it's not really fair on a wild animal and b) they can never be 100% trustworthy, I don't think any animal can be, domesticated or not, let alone a wild one.

That's my opinion sorry of you don't like it! Pop over an Dogsey and ask and i'm not sure you'd get many at all who'd keep a wolf as a pet (if any) and they are pretty dog savvy over there.

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #15

Kel, I didn't say I WOULD keep a Wolf as a pet (I am sure the majority of the UK wouldn't WANT to - and some of them might be members of Dogsey - (don't understand your reasoning there), but I can see that with the correctly handling/environment then a Wolf is no different to a Dog.

Perhaps I am missing something - but you haven't convinced me otherwise, but I am open to suggestions/reasoning.

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #16

Because a dog has been domesticated over thousands of years, from wolves, wolves are just wolves, they are not domesticated. It's the same as taking ANY wild animal and taming it, it will be tame, but it will never be domesticated. Feral cats are hard enough and they come from domestic animals. I had a part feral cat, our tabs, and although she was lovely pet she was never like my other cats.

Dogs are very very diluted compared to a wolf. A wolf can be tamed and trained, but it will always be wild and it's instincts will always be so very much stronger than that of a pet dog's and those instincts are hunt and kill.

I mentioned Dogsey because a lot of them over there are very knowledgeable on dogs and behaviour and would probably be able to explain things better than me on my own.

Owning a wolf imo is comparable to owning any kind of wild cat. People own wild cats all over the world, especially the smaller cats such as servals. Would you own a serval?

Banned

10-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #17

ALL dog breeds are decendants of the wolf. I am sure all the DOGSEY people know that....
In Britain you are allowed a special licence for a Wolf, but you are NEVER permitted to keep pit bull types!!!! So some dogs are considered more dangerous than a wolf. Case closed, me thinks
And you don't have to be a dog owner to know the score!

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
In Britain you are allowed a special licence for a Wolf, but you are NEVER permitted to keep pit bull types!!!! So some dogs are considered more dangerous than a wolf. Case closed, me thinks
And you don't have to be a dog owner to know the score!
Enough said I think

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #19

Oh I give up, honestly.

yes they are DESCENDANTS of the wolf, but they are NOT wolves!

Banned

10-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #20

Random not once did I say I would have a wolf as a pet, and neither did anyone else on Catsey. And it was in the looks department that I said they were very similar. And I realise a wolf would need alot more training, but it can be done... So why did you post THIS on Dogsey pmsl....

Ok basically over on Catsey a couple of people are of the thinking that a wolf as a pet is no different from having a dog as a pet and clearly I can't say anything to make and sense to them so i'm calling for back up.

So basically, would you own a wolf as a pet and why? Or why not? And do you think that having a pet dog is the same as taming a wild wolf from a cub.

Again childish lol...