Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #11

Re: What breed of dog?

This might amuse you. As most of you know, I'm not a dog person; am very uncomfortable around them, but thought I'd take the test just to see what it said...well, after perusing my answers, it recommended........NO DOG!!

Very perceptive site ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #12

Well, at least it did get that right for you Eileen!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #13

I took the test and it came up with one dog which was a Munsterlander . I'd never heard of it so did a bit of digging and it's stunning but i dont think it would be the right dog for me at all.

Catsey Veteran

30-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #14

Are they making dogs up, d'you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #15

I too came up with the Giant Mustlander, beautiful dog, but not one I would own...so got me totally wrong...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #16

Well that selector was about useless it came up with 0 breeds whay did it was will dog be alone for more than an hour a day.

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #17

Angie this is what I did to find a breed suitable to me/us when I briefly considered moving from Staffords.....

First decided on; What dogs I liked
More importantly; What breeds I did not like.
(I think its important to know what you do not like, for example I do not like small toy dogs or dogs that slobber)
Do you want a dog that needs grooming ie every ingle day and hair everywhere or a dog that needs proffesional grooming or a dog that want a quick flick of a brush.

What size dog do you want remember people consider a Boxer to be medium whereas I would consider a Boxer large.
Also remember size is important.
Do you want a dog that is biddable rather than trainable (as every dog is trainable but some dogs are easier/biddable to live with)
Do you want a dog that does not require loads of walking...but happy with a 40 minute trot round the block and longer walks when you wish.

Come back when you have answers to those above questions then we can move to stage two.

What breeds did your husband grow up with?

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #18

OK Kazz - start with me who has never owned a dog! (I'll get OH to answer his own questions!)

I like seemingly various terrier-sorts; hairy dogs (scruffy dogs too); dogs with black noses; I would like a dog smaller than a boxer, but I also do NOT like tiny dogs (although I might be persuaded by a rough haired dashound - can you see a sort of connection here?); I also prefer more slightly built dogs than say a Westie. I like the idea of a dog that would not necessarily want grooming every day, although I do understand that some breeds need grooming whilst young, but not so much as their adult coat comes through - that's fine (helps with bonding). A biddable dog would be great, although I doubt whether a terrier type would fit that. OH, and yes, not a big slobberer! I'd like a dog like my friend Jane had, which was a Patterdale X - a sweet natured dog, who could be taken anywhere and was happy to travel in the car. I think that "could be taken anywhere" really describes my perfect dog companion. This dog will be included and not left on his/her own at home.

OH will be primarily responsible for walking the dog, so I'm included in the longer walks when the weather is nice sort.

I'll ask OH to come and put his "requirements" in - but I think I've just about covered mine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #19

Dachs are nice wee dogs for a first time owner, can be a bit difficult to train as are all hounds, the wires are more terrier like in their personality and do need a fair bit of grooming to keep their coats nice or they go all fluffy. What about a mini schnauzer?

Will get my thinking cap on!

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #20

Hmmm based on what you have said I would have a close look at these.....breeds
Mini Schnauzer
Border Terrier (we need to summon Dawn for this breedsin's out's)
Wire haired Dashhund Mini and Standard.
These are te most "common I can think of that fit your list
Apart from of course a small scruffy lurcher.
Or a rescue/mongrel.