Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #11

Re: I asked my vet about spaying on the left

Maybe it's because I'm in the States and vets do it differently here (?), also it was almost 8 years ago, but Leia's incision was on her tummy, not the side. It was a fairly large incision, and she had 6 purple stitches!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
13-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #12

Well at least we know we aren't stupid, if the vet nurses don't even know....

Next person to have a spay done has to ask the surgeon, it is the rules!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
13-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
My 3 dogs were all done midline, and only had 3 stitches...
Maddy's is huge and lots of stiches, I will count and come back to you!

Carole i've never known a dog to be done on the flank!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
13-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #14

I've got 3 going in tomorrow for spay, but I've asked before & was told there was no reason other than, for ease of checking for a previous scar with a cat with no history. (IE to see if they've already been done) You can't scan a cat to check if they are spayed (as you could a dog) so no way of knowing. (Unless they are stray/feral & have had their ear tipped)

A small dog can be spayed on the flank, but I've only ever known it once - many years ago.... Carole was yours done a few years ago? Was it a small dog? A larger dog couldn't be done on the flank (could they?)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
13-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #15

Star was a 22kg boxer when she was spayed at a year old Maybe its a less intrusive op going in through the flank.

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole
Star was a 22kg boxer when she was spayed at a year old Maybe its a less intrusive op going in through the flank.
Did she have a full ovariohystorectomy? IE a normal spay.... If she did, I'm amazed... I can't see how they could remove the uterus & everything else through the flank...... Off to look on the "tinternet" about spays.

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #17

Found this interesting article..... Doesn't really answer the left/right question....... I will ask Gary England when I see him next week (He's a proffessor in veterinary medicine & reproduction)

Spaying: What, When and How?

Spaying has been shown to reduce unwanted pregnancies, prevent pyometra and decrease the risk of mammary gland tumors in female dogs and cats. However, increased tendency to develop obesity, bone cancer, aggressiveness, sedentary behavior, and urinary incontinence may develop after spaying. The ideal spay would result in positive effects from spaying with the least risk of developing negative effects. It would also result in minimal pain and immediate postoperative complications. Controversy thus continues to surround the best time and method of spaying. Veterinarians in the United States should be aware of differing practices and the rationale for their use.

A major controversy is whether ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy is the preferable surgery. The rationale for removing the uterus is that stump pyometra may develop if the uterus is not removed. The rationale for ovariectomy is that the surgery is less invasive and the risk of pyometra is minimal once the animal is no longer cycling. In several long term studies of dogs and cats under going ovariectomy, stump pyometra did not occur in any animal after surgery. Studies have also shown that there is no difference in the incidence of urinary incontinence after ovariectomy or ovaraiohysterectomy in the dog.

A second controversy surrounds whether or not a midline approach or a flank approach is preferable. The midline approach is the standard method taught in veterinary schools in the United States. The flank approach is routinely used to perform ovariectomy, with each ovary being approached through a small, muscle-separating approach. The flank approach is also used to perform ovariohysterectomy in feral cat neutering programs. One ovarian pedicle is ligated, the uterine horn is followed to the cervix, the uterus and uterine vessels are ligated and then the opposite uterine horn is is followed to the second ovary. The advantages of the midline approach are that it is technically easier to perform an ovariohysterectomy from this approach, the incision can be quickly opened if needed, and both sides of the reproductive tract are easily accessible from one approach. The advantage of the flank approach is that, in experienced hands, it allows ovariectomy or ovariohysterectomy to be performed through a very small lateral incision. The flank approach can be closed with a few buried sutures and has a minimal risk of dehiscence.

More recently, techniques for laprascopic ovariectomy and ovariohysterectomy have been described for the dog. Although the surgery is technically challenging, the advantage of performing a spay using minimally invasive surgery is that the dog experiences less postoperative pain and distress.

A third controversy surrounds the best time to perform a spay. This controversy has been widely discussed in the United States literature in regard to the issue of neutering at a very young age compared to the traditional age of 6-8 months. Initial studies of 2-300 dogs and cats followed for up to 4 years did not indicate physical or behavioral differences between early age spaying or traditional age spaying. A larger study of 983 dogs found that 12.9% of dogs spayed at < 3 months developed urinary incontinence, while only 5% dogs spayed at >3 months became incontinent. Other differences documented in early age neutered dogs compared to traditional age neutered dogs were an increased incidence of cystitis, hip dysplasia, noise phobias and sexual behaviors, and a decreased incidence of obesity, separation anxiety, escaping behaviors, and inappropriate elimination when frightened. In 859 cats, an increased incidence of shyness was found in early age neuters compared with traditional age neuters, whereas a decreased incidence of asthma, gingivitis and hyperactivity were found.

In Europe, the debate has centered on whether or not to spay before or after the first heat. The mammary carcinoma data would suggest that performing a spay before the first heat would result in the lowest chance of mammary cancer. The pyometra data would suggest that as long as a spay was performed in the first 4 years of life, pyometra is not likely. One study of 809 bitches showed no difference in urinary incontinence in animals spayed before or after the first heat at the 5% significance level, but a difference at the 10% level. Other studies have documented urinary incontinence in 9.7% of bitches spayed before the first heat compared to a 20% incidence in bitches spayed after the first heat. Even though the incidence of incontinence was lower in bitches spayed before the first heat, severity of the incontinence in these dogs was much worse than in dogs spayed after the first heat. The risk of obesity associated with spaying appears to be worse in sexually mature animals compared to immature animals.

More recently, studies in Rottweilers have shown that the risk of osteosarcoma is increased in spayed and neutered animals compared to intact animals. For each month that an animal remained intact, there was a 1.4% decrease in osteosarcoma risk. The overall incidence of osteosarcoma in the study population of 683 Rottweilers was 12.6% during the study period. Cruciate injury has also been shown to be more common in spayed and neutered dogs.

The question must be asked: is there a group of animals, particularly dogs, in which the risks of spaying may outweigh the benefits? The most likely candidates would be large breed dogs at increased risk for cruciate rupture, osteosarcoma, urinary incontinence and/or dominance aggression. Osteosarcoma may result in early death, while urinary incontinence and/or dominance aggression can result in a pet becoming unacceptable and at risk of euthanasia. Weighing the risks of these conditions may shift the balance of “spay to prevent mammary cancer and pyometra” to “don’t spay or delay spay to prevent severe urinary incontinence or biting”.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
13-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Did she have a full ovariohystorectomy? IE a normal spay.... If she did, I'm amazed... I can't see how they could remove the uterus & everything else through the flank...... Off to look on the "tinternet" about spays.
I have no idea but will be asking at our next vet visit

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #19

It's really fascinated me as I had no idea theat technique was used on dogs, I know my moms Terrier was spayed on her flank, but she was no bigger than a cat. I've seen caesareans being performed & have observed a couple of spays (only in dogs, not cats) & to think they can remove it through a tiny hole is amazing. I'm going to speak to Gary at work & ask him about the left/right cat issue & also about dog spays on the flank.