Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #11

Re: Daily Thread / Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Afternoon all, on here for 5 mins before I am forced to go and watch the Simpsons movie (Lord help me). It's Hayleys birthday today and this was one of the pressies she was desperate for, and so I have to suffer through the watching of it!! I have 3 new babies and mum in residence ( very cute babies) will post pics later.

Eileen, a bottle bank is a recycling point for empty glass/plastic bottles. I think angie has been drinking too much vino lol!

Have a good evening all.
HIC!!!

Eileen, in UK each District Council is responsible for taking recycling forward and each has a slightly different service! So whereas Alex's "bank" might take glass and plastic bottles, ours only actually takes glass - our plastic bottles get recycled separately in a big wheelie bin we are provided with at home! We can also put paper and cardboard in these bins + tin cans, aluminium etc. These bins are collected fortnightly. The downside of this is that our rubbish is also only collected fortnightly - which can get a bit stinky in the summer!!! (Sure you wanted to know that!!!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #12

not fair!! We have to take our plastic bottles to the bottle bank ourselves, but our red box takes the glass bottles. Very weird, I wish they would sort out a country wide agreement!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #13

It's mad, isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #14

Hi every one, just a quickie coz I have to head off to the airport to meet Erin.
Have a good evening every one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #15

evening all !
Have a good trip Elaine. Yep, it's crazy all the diff council's attitudes to recycling. We get plastic bags, 1 for paper, 1 for glass/cans/plastic. We recycle huge amounts but still think we could do more; food waste etc. Its collected weekly, which means storing it is a problem.
Sorry about your babby Yola, crying like this must be getting you down. Hope the consultant can sort out the prob soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
HIC!!!

Eileen, in UK each District Council is responsible for taking recycling forward and each has a slightly different service! So whereas Alex's "bank" might take glass and plastic bottles, ours only actually takes glass - our plastic bottles get recycled separately in a big wheelie bin we are provided with at home! We can also put paper and cardboard in these bins + tin cans, aluminium etc. These bins are collected fortnightly. The downside of this is that our rubbish is also only collected fortnightly - which can get a bit stinky in the summer!!! (Sure you wanted to know that!!!)
My, they do make it complicated ! Very simple in Washington: everyone get a large blue wheelie which takes everything: plastic, glass, tins, paper (including glossy magazines) and cardboard! Once a week pickup; same with the trash. It amazes me how much recycling I have for just me and Leia! I can blame her for the tins, but not the vino or gin ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #17

In our area we're not allowed to put any glass into the (blue) bin with the other stuff for recycling, in case of any injury to staff during the sorting process. We have a plastic crate for glass which gets collected by the council every other week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #18

I have to take glass to the recycling myself. Everything else (tins, paper, card, plastic bottles) goes into the burgundy recycling bin.

We have every other week collections; once landfill waste and once recycling. They're talking about bringing in compulsory composting; well I'm all for it, except I have a tiny town garden which has to accommodate both our adult outdoor dining needs and the boys' playing needs. Where will I put a composter/waterbutt/extra wheelie bin for garden waste etc etc etc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #19

That is a problem, Yola! Tell me about small City gardens!! They don't take things like that into consideration when they enact these sweeping changes. I can keep my two bins in the driveway as I don't need access to the garage, not owning a car, but it would be a real nuisance for someone who did....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #20

We have 2 big cars so the driveway is a no-no. Bins are in the garden. As Angie said, in summer they do pose a bit of a health hazard Dominik has taken to sitting ontop of them making a kind of 'camp'. I can see that not lasting beyond May