Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #11

Re: Merlin's health

My thoughts for what they are worth are simply this; Better a day to early than even a second to late. And their is no greater gift you can give to Merlin than to make the descision when the time is right. And sometimes as has been said the descision is harder than the action.My thoughts are with you. It is not easy but if it were easy....you would not be the person you are; a human who is loved by a cat.....which is kinda special I think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
29-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #12

I can't really add anything more than what everyone else has said, apart from let yourself be guided by the vet. Best wishes from both Beauty and I!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
30-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #13

I think all the best advice has already been given, and I agree with all that's been said. In my heart, I would love for it to be an 'off-spell' for dear Merlin, and that he will perk up and see it through the winter for another Spring. That is my hope and wish for both of you. But I do think what is most important is both of your happiness. If he gets weaker, it would break your heart to see him suffering, but if you consider letting him go it will hurt so much but you know he won't be in any pain and neither will you be watching him in pain.

It's such a tough decision to make, and I agree with Yola that perhaps you are preparing yourself for what is to come. Out of a deep respect and love for my boys,I would be thinking the same thoughts as yourself, and would ultimately make the same decision. I will hope and pray for Merlin, I do hope he perks up a little. All my love, hugs for you and the biggest purrs, prrps, and head-butts from Darcy and Minsky for Uncle Merlin x x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #14

Thanks so much everyone for your sensitive and thoughtful comments and suggestions.

I have an appointment to see the vet at 11.40 today - I will give Merlin every chance of course, but will rely on the vet's advice to a large degree at this point. I am prepared for the decision if the vet thinks that way too.

I'll let you know how things go of course.

Almost a Veteran Member

30-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #15

Good luck Angie and Merlin! Thinking of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #16

Please will you all take a long deep breathe with me? Now count, one, two, three .............. and ................ out......

It's Merlin's teeth that are the problem and he has an infection in his mouth. His glands under his jaw are inflamed and he has had a long acting antibiotic and a pain killing injection. He is home and is now tucking into his food. OH thinks he is also a bit of a con artist!

That bowl of food is now empty by the way. I have got a coffee with a slug of rum in it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #17

Oh Angie. I am SO pleased that it's something as minor as a tooth infection. Of course it's probably very uncomfortable for the old boy but it is easily treatable and the fact he's eating again is a very positive sign.

Enjoy that rum . . . if I wasn't in the office I'd be joining you!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #18

Oh!
My finger was quite shakey on the mouse, as I expected bad news - and now I am all smiley smiley. Like that!
Hooray. I am so pleased for you.
So, get loads of food into him whilst he's in the mood

Almost a Veteran Member

30-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #19

I never thought I'd be so happy to hear of a tooth infection! That's fantastic news Angie! Although not for poor Merlin and his sore mouth, but hopefully he'll be pain-free soon enough and back to his normal self What a good boy for eating all his food.

Enjoy that rum coffee

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
30-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #20

So glad its all turned out ok for you