Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #11

Re: how many have you got?

I have only 5 moggies since losing Lucky

Matilda - tortoiseshell tabby - 5 and a half years old

Sylvester - Black & White tuxedo - 4 and half years old

Maud - Blue - 2 years 5 months old

Claude - grey tabby (think he is actually considered to be a mackeral tabby)- 9 months old

Clooney blue - 9 months old

Hopefully within the next few months I will be adding 1 possibly 2 Siamese kittens...

I agree kittens are easier to integrate with existing adults. I have also found that if you have existing Tom's in the house then female kittens are easier to introduce than male kittens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Hopefully within the next few months I will be adding 1 possibly 2 Siamese kittens...

I agree kittens are easier to integrate with existing adults. I have also found that if you have existing Tom's in the house then female kittens are easier to introduce than male kittens.
So how did yours react to the introductions of the newbies? What about older females getting a boy kitten?

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #13

Never had problems introducing boy kittens to girls as the girls are the highest in the heirachy and the kittens accept this whatever their sex. Problems come with neuter boys who I have found can start spraying and start fights if you introduce more boys. I haven't had problems of them doing this when girls are introduced. A lot does depend on the individual personalities of the cats as well though..

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Never had problems introducing boy kittens to girls as the girls are the highest in the heirachy and the kittens accept this whatever their sex. Problems come with neuter boys who I have found can start spraying and start fights if you introduce more boys. I haven't had problems of them doing this when girls are introduced. A lot does depend on the individual personalities of the cats as well though..
So the kitten will see itself as bottom of the pile as far as heirarchy? My two girl moggies will accept a boy kitty? Dont want to put the girls out as they are both quiet and shy and dont want them to fear this boy that I introduce. If I get a boy kitty then that is it. No more kitties for me so hopefully no spraying!

Thanks for your advice fran

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #15

If you have girls, I see no problems introducing a kitten of either sex. Both your girls are young so hopefully you will not encounter too many probs and the girls will soon show the kitten who is boss

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:51 AM   #16

Quote:
If you have girls, I see no problems introducing a kitten of either sex. Both your girls are young so hopefully you will not encounter too many probs and the girls will soon show the kitten who is boss
Well if i get one, i will let you all know!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #17

Quote:
I agree totally.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #18

If & when you do get another Donna - don't be surprised if it takes a while for them to all get used to each other, with cats it sometimes takes a bit of time.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #19

Yes Smudgely.

Didnt get Chloe and Misty together. There are six weeks between them. When i first got Misty then there was a lot of fighting and hissing between them. Kept them in separate parts of the house for weeks until a friend of mind MADE me just open the doors and let them interact. Was a bit scary. Some fighting (although was told they were playing) but then it settled down quite quickly.

Just dont want Misty and Chloe to feel pushed out or threatened.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
If & when you do get another Donna - don't be surprised if it takes a while for them to all get used to each other, with cats it sometimes takes a bit of time.
Very true..dogs seem to be much easier to integrate with each other than cats do