Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #11

Re: Tortoise

Loving the video quite a nimble wee fella.

Never had a tortoise so dont know anything about them really.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #12

Wow Fran, thanks that is really useful info.

(Does he really know his name?) if so - that's cool

Ashleigh has mentioned a few times she'd like a tortoise and we have been thinking about weather to get one. I think I would like a baby one. Well you know maybe under a year? I have looked at some different breeds, must read more about them.

Is yours indoors Fran?

When will he hibernate?

I'm all tortoise excited now

oh & they are very expensive, good in a way though as you wouldn't just go & get one without thinking it through, but not-so-good when you have to find over a hunderd quid for a baby tortoise without the accomodation and oter bits and pieces.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley

(Does he really know his name?) if so - that's cool
Haha, I like to think so but in reality, I think it's my voice he recognises rather than his name. Tortoises do I believe have quite limited hearing capabilities.

Herbi is an indoor tortoise and we house him in a tortoise table rather than a vivarium. He used to live in a viv but we found he developed noisy breathing and we looked into things more and an open topped tortoise table is considered a healthier way of keeping them. I have a wire mesh top over the top of his table as the cats used to get in with him under his lamp which did not please him greatly! We do allow him outside in the summer on nice days but in a safe enclosed area, one because they are notoriously good at escaping and two, because my dogs are so lively that they may inadvertently injure him when they charge around the garden. We do allow him to wander round the house at times but you have to be aware that it's impossible to toilet train tortoises so we do get the 'occasional' accident

As yet, I have never hibernated him, I would be so devastated if I got it wrong and I lost him due to my incompetence. There's different schools of thought regarding whether to hibernate or not. It's generally considered that if you don't hibernate then you cut the lifespan of the tortoise a little but in the grand scheme of things this might be 10 years off the 70 odd years they are expected to live! Every year I say I will hibernate him and every year I just don't have the heart. They generally start going into hibernation around now although I believe there are some species of tortoise that don't hibernate, so you would need to read up a little on the species you are planning to buy.

Have fun searching for a tortoise and I'll look forward to your updates

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #14

Thanks Fran.

Just a thought, I wonder if you could hibernate a cat? Wouldn't mind Lilly going to sleep for a couple of months.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #15

What's Lily up to, Smudgley?

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
What's Lily up to, Smudgley?
She bites little toes that stick out of the bed-covers & it hurts, She brings birds back & leaves them on Ashleighs bedroom floor, She is bossy to Smudge, She follows the dog around like a lost puppy-dog, she likes to go out at 4am and scratches the blind until someone lets her out..... otherwise she's not bad I suppose.