Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #11

Re: Wrinkled Egg and huge egg

According to my Dad...chicken keeper for 28 years before he got married....he said young hens about 6 -12 months old before they start laying then it can take up to 6 months for their body to get used to laying, and he used to get weird shaped eggs and a lot of double yokers as well as wrinkly eggs from young hens. He said they taste fine the eggs that is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I was led to believe this was due to stress, disease and/or over crowding in hens. Also sometimes because of a defective shell gland.

I found this tooescription
Misshapen eggs are those whose shells differ obviously from the smooth, ‘normal’ shape. They include eggs with shells marred by flat sides or body checks (ribs, wrinkles or grooves), and eggs that are too large or too round. Flat sided eggs are discussed on page 37, and bodychecked eggs.

Incidence
The incidence of misshapen eggs varies considerably depending on how severely the eggs are judged. Normally, up to 2% of production is downgraded due to these faults. The incidence of misshapen eggs can vary with the strain of bird, but they are most often produced by pullets coming into lay, or hens late in lay. often as a result of double ovulation.
Cause Control
Immature shell gland Delay onset of sexual maturity 1 to 2 weeks by controlled feeding during rearing.
Defective shell gland Cull birds which persistently produce such eggs.
Diseases, e.g. infections bronchitis Follow an effective vaccination programme.
Stress, e.g. frights and disturbances To avoid frightening birds, minimise human activity in and around the shed. Increase shed security to stop other birds and animals entering the shed.
Crowding Avoid overstocking.
Wow - no idea there could be so many reasons. They are all free range and have loads of perching room, so I assume it is just that she is a young hen - just coming into lay, I think this is only her 4th or 5th egg.

The first bit of your post gave me a bit of a fright!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
According to my Dad...chicken keeper for 28 years before he got married....he said young hens about 6 -12 months old before they start laying then it can take up to 6 months for their body to get used to laying, and he used to get weird shaped eggs and a lot of double yokers as well as wrinkly eggs from young hens. He said they taste fine the eggs that is.
Thanks Kazz, put my mind at rest, I'd hate to think I caused them any distress.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #13

I'm sure you are right - it's not unusual for hens just past POL to lay some odd eggs, especially double-yolkers.

Not sure of the type of ground they run on CM - do you put any supplementary grit down for them?

Catsey Veteran

07-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'm sure you are right - it's not unusual for hens just past POL to lay some odd eggs, especially double-yolkers.

Not sure of the type of ground they run on CM - do you put any supplementary grit down for them?
Yes, they have a holder with grit and crushed oyster shell. They are out in the field which is mainly grass but they have scraped a good few dust baths which also have wee bits of grit etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #15

I've just looked up my poultry problem book and misshapen eggs can also be laid by fat birds.

Catsey Veteran

07-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #16

Ok - so now you all have me running for my books, surfing every poultry site on my favs and sneaking out to the coop to check they have grit and she's not to fat!!

Now I am worrying that there is some dreadful problem.

No - honestly folks thanks for the ideas - but I really think it is just young hen, getting the hang of things.

(DM - next time I have a weird egg I'll just pm you a pic - lol)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #17

LOL, didn't mean to start an controversy; I was just curious what a wrinkly egg looked like!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Ok - so now you all have me running for my books, surfing every poultry site on my favs and sneaking out to the coop to check they have grit and she's not to fat!!

Now I am worrying that there is some dreadful problem.

No - honestly folks thanks for the ideas - but I really think it is just young hen, getting the hang of things.

I think you are right, I usually get a few weird eggs at the start of spring. I just thought it was funny that fat birds lay them- I've yet to find a fat laying hen, all the energy goes into the eggs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Wow - no idea there could be so many reasons. They are all free range and have loads of perching room, so I assume it is just that she is a young hen - just coming into lay, I think this is only her 4th or 5th egg.

The first bit of your post gave me a bit of a fright!!
If its because she is young, you will know soon enough, probably is if she is well in every other way.