Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #11

Re: look who's pregnant..

They are going to be lovely Smudgley!! The reason they will be all black is because the yellow gene is a seperate gene from Black/liver. Both parents have to carry yellow to produce yellow pups. Carly obviously doesn't carry yellow or she would have had yellow pups in the past if mated to yellow or something that carries yellow (hope that makes sense, genetics is complicated )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-05-2006, 11:43 PM   #12

not decided if we will be having her litter at home yet. She may be going to a friend / GD volunteer as I'm not sure we can manage with the builders / & juggling work etc.

*before anyone asks no I didn't mate my dog without thinking of the consequences - she belongs to GD's & is bred from every 12 months*

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
They are going to be lovely Smudgley!! The reason they will be all black is because the yellow gene is a seperate gene from Black/liver. Both parents have to carry yellow to produce yellow pups. Carly obviously doesn't carry yellow or she would have had yellow pups in the past if mated to yellow or something that carries yellow (hope that makes sense, genetics is complicated )
She's liver & carries black (obviously) She's always had black pups except when she was mated to another liver FCR & they were all liver. I'd love her to have a little yellow one (just one)

Do you mate your chocs to chocs Fran?

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #14

liver to liver always produces liver. The dog cannot carry black as black is dominant, chocolate is recessive. A black dog can carry chocolate but not the other way round Choc to black can producechoc and black if the black carries choc if not they will all be black and yellow will be produced if both the choc and black carry yellow

Edit to add = yes I do mate choc to choc but only because my girls both have a black parent. Too much choc/choc breeding produces dilution of coat

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #15

to add a spanner in the works, a liver/liver mating always produces liver except where both parents carry yellow then yellow pups can be born. These are not desirable out of a liver/liver mating and are called Dudleys I believe

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
liver to liver always produces liver. The dog cannot carry black as black is dominant, chocolate is recessive. A black dog can carry chocolate but not the other way round I knew that bit (even though I put she carries black )- what I mean is both her parents are black. But that really is the extent of my genetics knowledge

Choc to black can produce choc and black if the black carries choc if not they will all be black and yellow will be produced if both the choc and black carry yellow
What I don't understand is how come you can get black, chocolate & yellow in a litter of labs?

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #17

What breed would have liver to liver carrying yellow? Could that apply to labs? Ie mate a choc to choc carrying yellow & get a yellow.
Edit to add - that can't be right if liver to liver always produces liver

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #18

It is called a rainbow litter..eg black mum / liver dad. Mum carrys choc and yellow, dad carries yellow. Because there is choc in both choc puppies can be born, mum is black which is dominant so black pups can be born. Both carry yellow so yellow puppies too can be expected

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
What breed would have liver to liver carrying yellow? Could that apply to labs? Ie mate a choc to choc carrying yellow & get a yellow.
Edit to add - that can't be right if liver to liver always produces liver
Yes - you've got it Smudgley! I think the same could apply mixing goldens with labs and flatties come to that? Obviously, goldens are only yellow but if the lab carries yellow then I would think Bingo! yellow puppies

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #20

Oh hang on just re-read your post L to L - but both parents carry yellow can produce yellow. So that could apply in labs?