Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #11

Re: indoor or outdoor cat

Mine go out when I am at home and can have the back door open...If I go out they are in...Never leave them out at night..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #12

My two kitties are let out first thing in the morning for a brisk ten minute run around, then they are in and flap locked (to stop nasty cats getting in as well as stop them getting out). I get home at four and open the flap. They go in and out (but are mostly in) until around 8pm when the flap is shut for the night.

They are scared to go out due to neighbouring cats so do not wander anywhere. I just like them to get some fresh air.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #13

When we lived in London we lost one cat to an RTA which I was devastated about. When we moved to Leics I was determined to find a house that was in a cul-de-sac! We are the second house from the end of the road and as there is only 3 houses we get very little traffic and any cars would be going slow! If we lived on a main road I would keep them in, but I think most cats love some freedom. Sasha hardly ever goes out and only in the garden. Rosie & Sidney enjoy going out, but are in a lot too, Misty is the wanderer, he would go mad if he was kept in. He will be 9 in May, so even though he is pedigree and I do worry, he enjoys his life and I feel he needs to be free. Sorry, I'm waffling again. To answer your question, I really think it depends on the circumstances and the cat(s)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #14

inside now i have read the article in the sun

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
10-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #15

Mine have the option..its up too them what they do. Clem was more a house cat before..then after her jaunt away she liked to spend more time outside, Elsa is just easy going and likes to go for a wander and a hutn but prefers inside with the terriers..

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #16

If you haven't had Elsa spayed yet Luke, she may come back with a little surprise for you one day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #17

All 9 of mine are indoor cats and have always been. They are Persians and have very little natural instinct and even less sense. There is also the threat of somebody stealing them as just about everyone knows what a Persian cat looks like. My kittens are sold under contract to indoor homes only unless kept in a purpose built cat run. I do feel it is much safer for the cat to be kept indoors and if done from a young kitten there shouldn't be a problem. You do not run the risk of RTAs, fights with other cats and the possibility of catching infectious, possible fatal diseases, being chased, or worse, by dogs and of course the cruelty that seems to be more and more evident in our society. Just my opinion though

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #18

Fortunately because of where I live mine are able to come and go as they please....even the Siamese. I do however like to get Jazz, Max and Giz in at bedtime and keep them in, they have their own bedroom all set up. Its where they were born and they don't seem to mind...Jazz likes to have her 2 'babies' in at night and howls if i put them to bed and Max is still out. He has a large territory and does spend most of his time patrolling it, even in winter.

William is the only one who would allow anyone outside to approach her..the rest would scarper if someone got to close. The main thing to worry about with the Siamese is their curiousity...the girls have a habit of following Max, who is extremely nosy. So normally if one is stuck up a tree they all are!!!

If I lived in town though the Siamese would probably have to be house cats.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tortie DSH
11-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #19

Definitely outdoor!!!!

My cat has been quite ill lately and has been an indoor cat for well over a month and she's climbing the walls! It's just soooo handy to shot her outside when she's making a nuisance of herself!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
11-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #20

Jenny i would be just as scared of some 1 taking him, pedigree cats go missing just as much as pedigree dogs do

after paying any sort of money i wouldn't let it wonder i hate losing money

my cats are in door only for 3 reasons

1) when i had Mittens (my ragdoll) if i had let her out ppl would of pinched her im sure and as i plan on having more ragdolls i think it wise to keep the 1s i have in now. Maine Coons are not so pretty but im sure some1 would walk off with either Scarlott or Minx (a blue kitten has gone missing just this week in my St)

2) my cats are used to dogs and i have lost a cat to a dog cos he thought they were all like my lot i watched it happen and could do nothing i shouted and screamed and couldn't stop the dog or get the cat to move away from him

3) i don't see any difference from a dog to a cat and i would never let my dogs roam. other ppls cats can be a right pain in the bum digging up ppls gardens ripping there rubbish bags peeing every where.

say your cat got in some1s garden and was digging it up all the time so they went out and got a cat trap and sent your cat to a local pound you can do nothing and that person is in the right 100%