Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #11

Re: Pet Shop Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
The RSPCA was my first thought of action do you think it might help to phone them first?
She knows where the pet shop is but can't remember the name and never got a receipt
Even stranger the no recipt thing. Id give them a call first. that way they will be expecting you.
Sounds like the pet shops a bit dodgey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #12

How sad for those kitties, being sold at such a young age. Obviously, like everyone else, I'm wholeheartedly against kittens being sold in pet-shops, but I understood that in order to do so, the shop had to have a local authority licence (or am I mistaken?) Surely there's some clause in the licence about kittens being sold below a certain age?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
04-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #13

I thought kittens had to be 8 weeks to be sold in a pet shop? I would phone the local council, im sure they would revoke theire liscence!
There is a pet shop down the road from me that sells kittens, i wont go in there, there fish tanks are over stocked and there are hamsters in cages all stacked up in there, and they breed rabbits there and the babies are out on show as young as 5 weeks! with a sign on the cage, do not touch! How do they get away with it??

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #14

I be inclined to report them Lucy. That's what I did and it worked.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucySiamese
I thought kittens had to be 8 weeks to be sold in a pet shop? I would phone the local council, im sure they would revoke theire liscence!
There is a pet shop down the road from me that sells kittens, i wont go in there, there fish tanks are over stocked and there are hamsters in cages all stacked up in there, and they breed rabbits there and the babies are out on show as young as 5 weeks! with a sign on the cage, do not touch! How do they get away with it??

you must report them - they will get away with it if no-one reports them. The law has changed and they are coming down hard on those who sell animals and do not treat them well. I read about it in my trade mags - the pet shop owners that sell the animals hate the new rules!

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #16

I'd just like to point out that, that goes for fish too.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
04-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #17

They have been reported before, and they have since moved to a bigger shop next door! i havent been in theire since, they sell cheap out or date food too!

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #18

report them!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
04-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #19

Well I took a trip down to the pet shop with her - if you can call it a pet shop they seemed to be selling all kinds of bits and pieces, not just pet stuff but anyhow that's irrelevant.

I phoned the RSPCA just to inform them that I had heard of a pet shop selling kittens at 5 weeks of age and they seemed very interested. I told them I didn't have all of the info at the moment but I would do by the afternoon so would give them a call back.

I don't know if they'd had a tip-off from somewhere, because I couldn't find any evidence of kittens being sold at that place but he was selling rats and hamsters which to me seemed very overcrowded and quite dirty. I asked the guy whether he had any kittens for sale - pretending to be a totally dippy woman looking for a cute little kitten but he said that he hadn't had any for a good year or so.

I called the RSPCA back anyway due to the rats and hamster situation and they said they would investigate further - it's really frustrating

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #20

Me smells a rat. so he hasn't had kittens for a year but your SI got one yesterday . Sounds like he's had a tip off.
I'm sorry they werent there when you went. You must have felt a bit let down.
I'd be inclined to pop in every now and again. Just to check. Each time reporting him if things aren't right. Good luck.