Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
20-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #11

Re: Tabby tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
what are these Kay
They are the markings that Classic Tabbies should have. Oysters are the roundish shape they have on their sides at the back, butterflies are either side of their shoulders, ribbons are the lines that come from the outer corner of their eyes, necklaces are the stripes going down their fronts (like a necklace would hang), bracelets are the the markings on their legs and rings are the markings on their tails.

As I said thes are on the Classic not the Mackeral or Spotted Tabbies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #12

Thanks Kay, will check ours out tomorrow
Do makerel tabbies have the black stripe down their back?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
20-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #13

Mackerel tabbies have broken stripes all down their sides. This link has some brilliant pics of all the differnet tabby patterns Classic, Mackerel, Spotted and Ticked.
http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #14

That's a great link, Kay! Here's another good one that Shelley might enjoy:

http://www.messybeast.com/spotted-cats.html

Both Abys and Singapuras have a black spine line and tail tip.

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #15

Thank you both for the sites, will have to have a good look at tom and jerry in daylight, i'm not sure what they are

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
21-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #16

I hadn't heard this account of the tabby M. but there is a similar story of the Prophet Muhammad (I am not Muslim, but some of my friends are). The Prophet loved cats and advised the people to treat their cats as a member of their family. One his cats was named 'Muezza', was Muhammad's favourite cat. As the story goes, the call to prayer was given and when the Prophet Mohammed went to put on one of his robes, he found Muezza sleeping on one of the sleeves. Rather than disturbing the cat, he cut off the sleeve and let him sleep. When he returned, Muezza awoke and rubbed his head on Muhammad. In return Muhammad stroked Muezza's head three times and this left the mark of an 'M' on the cat's head. It is also believed that when Prophet Muhammad gave sermons within his household he would often hold Muezza in his lap. Arabs love cats - the word 'Cat' comes from the Arabic word 'qit'.

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #17

I love these Cat stories, thanks for that one James

Cats owned: Tabby male
24-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #18

Hello all. Yes, Kay, being a new owner of a tabby cat "Possum", I have seen his "M", but his is a very unique shape. (making a joke) I also would like to know what ribbons, oysters, butterflies, necklaces, bracelets, and rings are. I have noticed a lot of very pretty marking on "Possum" and mostly copied on the other side in the same place. Also I have noticed something odd about "Possum" he seems to have a lot of traits of our other cat "Ebony", who we had to put to sleep 2 years ago, due to old age; she was 20! I believe in reincarnation for humans but animals too? Maybe others have had experience of it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: maine coon? norweigen forest ??
shimmy is Male
24-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #19

lol thts sweet

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #20

jandarlo, in this thread kay explains what ribbons, oysters etc are and there are two good links given by kay and dandysmom.
I still can't decide what type of tabbies mine are they have quite a lot of black along their backs.
I believe in reincarnation and it's a nice thought that maybe there is some essence of Ebony in Possum