Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
20-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #11

Re: apologies and moving advice needed!

mine even got shut in the car once it wasnt warm. so just left them in the cages with some food n water.
the worse 1 to travel with was barnaby he yowled all the way there. if id haqd a roof rack trust me the cage would of gone on there. another time he escaped and he drooled and panicked all the way along the M11. what a mess we was in. and trying to wrap himself around the drivers head is a no-no. so make sure his cage is well secure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #12

Hiya
I would make sure he wears a collar with a name tag on witha mobile number on and let your present neighbours now know you are moving and give them a contact number in case he wanders back (then they will know he should not be there) a mile is not much to a cat.
Is he microchiped if not now would be a good time, in case he does wander. Keep him safe during the move maybe a room with lock on turn the key in the door and remove the key. Keep him in for at least a fortnight, I would say more and let him out when he is hungry and when you are in the garden/ house he will be fine my two moved twice and I must admit I worried more over them than over the move/sales/furniture etc. The tips on cat litter/scents etc are good, keep his bedding "unclean till the move"

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll's and Moggies
20-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

I would definately recomend keeping bedding dirty as it will make him feel more at home. Also a mile is nothing to a cat! My cat returned to my previous address 4 miles away every single day after we moved for a week until he realised where his home was.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #14

I've only moved once. The night before I had a friend drive me to the new house with his favorite chair, the litter box with a scoop of used litter; then the morning before the movers were due, carried him there with his food and water and put him in the empty back room with a sign not to open for the movers. Being a Siamese, he screamed bloody murder for the entire time till the movers had left. But explored the house and the familiar smelling furniture and settled really well. He was an indoor cat, only outside on a harness, so I had no experience of a roaming problem. You've goten lots of excellent advice, hope Jack settles in well...and I too believe in the old "butter their paws" theory!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
21-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #15

thanks everyone, our bathroom door does lock with a key so that will be that way to go when we shifting the furniture out, i'll leave is bed alone dispite the urge to wash it.....

he is microchiped so thats a bonus.

thanks for all the good advice will let you know how we get on.