Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #11

Re: Do colours run in families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Chloe my tortie/white was a litter of four. Her three brothers were completely black.
so im guessing that there om was black as well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #12

i cant really remember, there were a few adult cats around at the time, and I was new to cats so didnt really think to look at the mother (oh how bad am I??) I dont think she was black.

Misty my black cat had a completely black mum and all her sisters and brothers were black too except one silver/grey tabby cat who was gorgeous!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
02-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
so im guessing that there om was black as well

Chances are that their mom was a tortie as you can get black and red males from a tortie mom. If she carries dilute and mated with a dilute or dilute carrier male you could also get blue and cream. Colour is all down to genetics. It's really interesting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
02-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #14

[Misty my black cat had a completely black mum and all her sisters and brothers were black too except one silver/grey tabby cat who was gorgeous!!![/quote]

Misty's father would have been either a brown tabby that carries dilute and her mum would also have carried dilute. This is where the silver tabby came from.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
02-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #15

My mum's older cat was a tortie and white and in her last litter she had a gorgeous ginger kitten, two were ginger and white and one black & white one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
[Misty my black cat had a completely black mum and all her sisters and brothers were black too except one silver/grey tabby cat who was gorgeous!!!
Misty's father would have been either a brown tabby that carries dilute and her mum would also have carried dilute. This is where the silver tabby came from.[/quote]

It is all foreign to me Kay You are clever to know all this tho!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #17

You can get tortie males, but they are very rare - there are 2 ways actually, one is an extra chromosome, hence being sterile. Can't remember the wording on the other, but it is some kind of pigment condition that humans can get. And about 75% of gingers are male - think that is more cos they are more likely to be tortie than ginger, but could be wrong. I fostered a dark tortie mum and kits the other year - there were 3 ginger males, a black male and a black female. Black is also a recessive gene. There is an article on Messybeast about what colours you will get from what parents, will look it up later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #18

I thought black was dominant Booktigger and that blue (grey) was dilute of black

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #19

Blue is a dilute of black, but I think the gene for black is a recessive one, so you can get black kittens popping up unexpectedly. Will check the article I was reading later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #20

i only know the basic stuff im no good on dilute at all and reds can get me mixed up aswell (having a red i should really be reading up on it ) and then silver can get me going as well (Minx carries silver so more reading there LOL)

i do know that u can have a male tortie but i thought it was only the extra chromosome way i didnt know about the other way
and i also know that its rear to have a red girl.

stafford colours are so easy but i think i have my work cut out for me in cats lol

i have reds, silver and dilute to read up on (cos Minx carries silver and is blue)