Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #11

Re: FeLV

Your quick.

Got it now - thanks.

the info I need is;

how soon can I put a new cat in the pen?
what cleaning agent is best to use? bleach / virkon / eragen?
Should I throw away all bedding as clinical waste?
Bowls? Bleach or throw away?

Will go & read the articles now, Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #12

I've looked in lots of vet books / internet info - but can't find anything about introducing a new cat to a place where there has been a FeLV cat.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
16-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #13

Bedding etc I'd throwout, with the disinfectant either Trigene or Virkon but would be better consulting with your vet. FeLV isn't air borne but transfered through saliva and bodily fluids so just make sure the pen is scrubbed and you throw bowls, litter trays etc out just to be on the safe side

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyDawn
Bedding etc I'd throwout, with the disinfectant either Trigene or Virkon but would be better consulting with your vet. FeLV isn't air borne but transfered through saliva and bodily fluids so just make sure the pen is scrubbed and you throw bowls, litter trays etc out just to be on the safe side
Yes thought so. She has got 2 big ceramic bowls & 2 pieces of brand new vet bed that I only just bought from Crufts But I guess it's not worth the risk. I will throw away all her bedding & toys & litter tray.

thankyou for all the info Dawn, I will have a good read. One thing i didn't know was that FIV was only discovered in 1986? Had no idea it was so recent.

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #15

deleted.,,,,,,,,

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
16-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
thankyou for all the info Dawn, I will have a good read. One thing i didn't know was that FIV was only discovered in 1986? Had no idea it was so recent.
They are really good articles and if you ever need advice on the FIV/FeLV in the future, I've got Maureen's phone number and I'm sure she'd be happy to help