Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #11

Re: Do I get another dog ?

You have got to have patience. Don't be tempted to give up just because the cat runs away from the dog or the dog chases the cat in the first few days. It takes a while for them both to accept that these are family members. I would say from my own experience that it usually takes about 2/3 days for things to settle whereby the dog doesn't need to be kept on a lead. I let my cats have the run of the place and kept the dog on a lead so that they could see the cats moving about. I have had Anatolian Shepherds and a lurcher and a mongrel - they have all settled with the cats.

I don't think that seeing how a dog reacts when it first sees a cat is a good guide line because all mine would have wanted to kill the cat on first viewing

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
05-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #12

Thanks for all your replies - what would I do without you ? To be honest I know what I don't want and roughly what I do want if I decide an another dog. I had already scanned the local greyhound rescue lists but there was nothing really suitable. My last dog Harry was a rescue, I think you would have been as horrified as I was when I saw him but I couldn't leave him in the kennels and we had 5 1/2/ happy years inspite of his cancer and heart problems. This time though I would hope for something healthier, and hopefully without hereditary problems. I keep looking at little India, stretched out in the sun on the windowsill, above the radiator ( she loves her warmth) and wonder if it fair to her to disturb her newly acquired life. It will take a lot of careful thought, and if it hadn't been for the doctor I would have tried to ignore my wishes for some more furry feet pattering around the house. Will keep a check on the rescue centre India came from and see if anything turns up. Oh, in answer to those who asked - have had cockers, lab and lab cross, dobermanns, groenendael and german pinscher, also Harry, a Welsh springer, I still grieve for each and every one of them - add to that all the cats and small furries and my life seems to have been dominated by animals - isn't that just great ? Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #13

Now I know this may sound odd but if you want the dog walks but don't want to disrupt India how about volunteering for a rescue and walking their dogs?the excercise and none of the trouble they would snap you hand off I imagine.
Also there is "cinnamon" trust I walk for them you can help a person not able to walk their dog themselves usually an older person, They become friends or just keep them at arms length, Your choice. But a nice thing to do Cinnamon trust match you with someone near to you and do checks etc but you have to use common sense.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Now I know this may sound odd but if you want the dog walks but don't want to disrupt India how about volunteering for a rescue and walking their dogs?the excercise and none of the trouble they would snap you hand off I imagine.
Also there is "cinnamon" trust I walk for them you can help a person not able to walk their dog themselves usually an older person, They become friends or just keep them at arms length, Your choice. But a nice thing to do Cinnamon trust match you with someone near to you and do checks etc but you have to use common sense.

Karen
What a great compromise Kazz...knew we could rely on you to come up with a really good idea

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #15

Kazz, that is a brilliant idea!

Elaine, thank-you for your kind words. I felt guilty about not bonding with Caleb, but I am now becoming really quite fond of him. What a lovely thought; Daisy & Ben smiling down on us. They were such perfect dogs, I still cry a lot too, so I'm glad it's not just me!