Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
04-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #11

Re: Giving birth at 63?

i do agree with Yola if they can then carry on but when you cant no 1 should help you out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #12

I would not consider it. I have done my bit for mankind!!! I think its a bit weird someone of 63 would want a baby!

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
04-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #13

I said NO kids after I'm 30, I remember the awful time my Mum and I went through when I was a teenager and she was going through the change. I can understand now that with modern maternity care and lifestyle many people wouldn't share my opinion but at 63!!!! No way - that poor child is nothing more that an experiment to satisfy someone's ego. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #14

I too said that if I hadn't had children by the age of thirty then I wouldn't have any at all. I had Tom at 26 and Em a month after my thirtieth birthday. If I hadn't have had her then, I would never have had her at all. My mum and dad were 'older' parents and I hated it. My mum was 35 when she 'had' me and my dad was 47. I swore I would never be an 'older' parent.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
04-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #15

I disagree with it, I dont think it is that fair on the child, and the fact that they need IVF for it is wrong - although GMTV did say that the doc who performed it has done a lot of controversial things as well, so I wonder if he agreed for his 'reputation'.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #16

Well I don't know all the facts about this lady - but I do kind of think - each to their own. I can see why people would think it's wrong - however I know some people who are that age & fitter than me - so I have mixed views.
I was married at 20 & pregnant with our first daughter at 22. & there's just 18 months between my 2. So I'm now 32 & my children are growing up nicely & we are all very happy. - {My hubby is 12 years older than me.}

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
04-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #17

was just thinking earlier, that those of u who think its wrong, which seems to be the majority, do u also feel its wrong for parents with diseases that are msot likely to be passed to the children should have children too?

i saw a program once where a woman had cystic fibrosis or something, and she had 3 children and each child also got this terrible disease. what are peoples views on this? is it morally right for people to have children knowing full well they could pass their disease onto their children and thus shortening their life or them leading a painful life?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
04-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #18

Its her life and her choice fair enough the childs parents will be old but its none of our business really, I dont understand why some people are getting so upset about it (heard on radio not on here ) but people are dying all over the world of diseases and hunger natural disaters, and where so intrested in this one women????

Life is to short enjoy what you can! You could die tomz! If this women wants a child at this age they so be it, ITS her life not ours, i bet the poor women will be getting enough hassle off people and media!

Rant over!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
05-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #19

It wouldn't be something I would personally do but I also think each to their own.

When people say you shouldn't have kids when you are older because you could die when the child is young - well there is no guarantee to how long any of us have got - I have known a few young people who have died and left young children, I have also known of children that have died - there is no guarantee - no-one promises us that we will live a long life.

I don't have any children and I'm nearly 30. If I did decided to become a parent I will probably be an older parent but for me that would be better I don't feel ready to give everything required to a child and bringing them up yet. Everybodys different.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
05-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #20

There's no guarantee that you will live, but the odds are better of one parent surviving to turn 50, than 83. There are also the significantly increased odds of having a baby with, say Down's syndrome, at 63. In which case you have to make provisions for their care for much longer than twenty years or so.

I wouldn't, I don't feel it would be fair on the child, but your mileage may vary.