Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #11

Re: Why keep entire cats?

You'll have to name him Mr Piddle, Smudgley!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
05-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #12

awwwh I think hes really handsome

I've never had an entire male cat before - but there have been times I've been tempted to take some of the tom cats that spray on my door and sometimes in my house to the vet to get the operation - I've never done it though just tempted - it takes forever to get rid of the smell

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #13

When Ferdy came to us and I let him in a couple of times, he sprayed like mad. AND it stank! When we had him neutered, as Smudgely says, the smell diminished over quite a short period of time and the spraying stopped immediately.

As to the original question of why keep en entire male? Well apart from genuine reasons of breeding I really don't understand why! They wander, they fight, they get/spread disease, they spray, they smell and they can be aggresive also. I know not all are, but most will display one or other of those characteristics. And of course they cause the ongoing problem of unwanted kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #14

I don't know why anyone would keep an entire cat, male or female, unless they plan to breed. I knew people when I lived in America who didn't want to spay their kitty or her son... Can't imagine how they've kept them from breeding, suspect they haven't really... Which is disturbing enough!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
05-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #15

I have no idea - I have had unneutered toms with fostering, and while they didn't spray, the smell in the room of their wee was bad enough - although neither of the two youngsters (6 and 8 months) smelt. And with unneutered females, I dont' know how anyone can cope with dealing with them in heat time after time. IT must be easier with breeding queens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #16

Possibly because they're anthropomorphing their cat into a small human. They think that neutering is taking away the pets "right" to a love-life and since they have a good one themselves, or wish they did, they can't bring themselves to neuter. Or the same for a person fearing the loss of their "manhood"/ "womanhood" by loosing the means to reproduce.
Personally, having the urge but never being allowed to do something about it would do my head in. Which may even be one of the reasons I would neuter my pets.
The cats themselves don't seem to feel this way. A neutered cat tends to have less stresses and a "happier" life, as far as I can tell. But then I'm biased.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #17

I can't understand it eoither, if a cats a pet....My boys were all neutered as soon as they were old enough, its not just the spraying, unneuters roam and get into fights...

Catsey Junior

05-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #18

Because keeping just part of a cat is really cruel?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbies (Gordon & Ramsay)
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #19

05-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #20

That made me laugh!!

I would just like to say i had mine all neutured at 6 months.