Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #11

Re: Catpages article - I've written one

Brilliant article Kazz, very informative, all questions about oldies answered...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #12

Will the talented Kazz please take a bow!! Its super, well done.,
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #13

Thank you all very much, but critisium is most welcomed this as I say is a rough draft I started to write it about 9 tonight, following on from Az's suggestion in CJK's thread about writing articles hence this is my contribution.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

05-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #14

Amended article

Pensioner Puss

Well congratulations you much loved cat has become a pensioner – unlike with humans’ cats don’t have a set legal age at which they suddenly become old. Some people consider a cat old at 9 or 10 while others say a cat is not old until the age of 14, at which time they equate to a 70 year old human. At 20 which in this day and age is not unusual equates to a 100 year old person who would be receiving a telegram from the Queen or the White House!

Well whatever age you consider your cat has become a pensioner puss, no one knows your cat better than you do so be aware of the subtle signs of aging in your cat and try to make his/her golden years as comfortable as you can. They certainly slow down, becoming less active than before. He/she may become less concerned about his/her surroundings and more interested in and dependent on you his/her owner.

You may find your cat spends much longer sleeping than before, eat smaller amounts more often, drink more, become less tolerant. Maybe even become restless and more attention seeking, and you could possibly consider introducing a litter tray if you don’t already have one as older cats aren’t so keen on braving the elements to go the loo – think about it would you want to if you were 70+?

As your cat gets older check his/her teeth as one of the common side effects of aging in cats is tartar build up which if neglected will lead to gum disease and your cat will be reluctant to eat as it will be painful to do so, a point worth checking rather than putting down your cats lack of appetite simply to old age.

Feeding

An older cat has different dietary requirements to that of a younger cat. There are many proprietary brands of cat food that supply a variety of “senior” cat food, but small and often should be the rule in feeding a pensioner puss.
Constipation may become a problem with the less active cat. Veterinary advice should be sought if this becomes an ongoing problem, however feeding food to which water, stock or soup has been added to make a thick broth, can help alleviate or prevent this problem"? But please take this seriously and if no motions for a couple of days consult your vet its always better to err on the side of caution with constipation.

General care

Walking upstairs may not be as easy for your cat as it once was, so consider a litter tray upstairs and downstairs, to help prevent your cat getting caught short but if but accident they don’t get to the tray in time then be patient, and don’t scold your cat .will already feel bad enough especially as the vast majority of cats are fastidiously clean. An older cat will not have so much control over its muscles as it once had and scolding will only make him/her nervous and increase stress levels.

Stiffening joints may prevent a cat from grooming themselves very well. Even if you have never needed to assist your cat with grooming previously please start to groom regularly as the years progress. As some areas of the body may be difficult to reach and regular brushing will make you cat feel better, as well as reducing the risk of furballs forming which your cats aging muscles may be unable to expel.
Check on a regular basis your cats’ claws haven’t become overgrown, if in doubt a visit to the vets may be called for.

Age may bring deterioration in your cats hearing or eyesight, but apart from a little extra vigilance on your part he/she should cope well. Even cats which have been very active out of doors when younger often welcome the opportunity to stay indoors in later life. Consider locking your cat flap during the night to prevent unwanted feline intruders that may “upset” your elderly cat.

Older animals also need additional heat so, if your cat does not have a warm place to rest or sleep, provide a pet heating pad.
As your cat ages he/she may desire a little peace and quiet so if you have visitors make sure they have somewhere to retire to.

Try not to change your cats routine. Stick to what your cat knows if he/she has always gone to a cattery when you go away then carry on, just use common sense.

Although it may appear that older cats are more “work” many owners find that they need to make few adjustments to suit their cats advancing years, and these are made so gradually that they are almost unnoticeable. And who would begrudge an old friend a few extra comforts.

Illness

One illness you are unlikely to see in the older cat is that of heart disease. Keep an eye on your cat. Contact your vet immediately if your cat loses weight, starts eating more food and drinking more water, eats less food and drinks less water, or if there is any marked change in his/her normal behaviour.

Kidney failure can be common in the older cat with as many as three quarters of cats over the age of ten sadly experiencing it. Kidney disease can be controlled by feeding and the correct diet but, as with most illnesses, the earlier diagnosis is made the better chances of control.
Diabetes is also common in older cats, and many respond well to daily insulin injections which the owner can soon learn to give and the cat can enjoy life for many years to come.

Sadly some owners may delay a vets visit if they suspect that something is seriously wrong with their cat, for fear that the vet will suggest euthanasia. But veterinary science has made remarkable strides in recent years and has much to offer. A vet will not suggest having your beloved cat PTS unless he/she feels it is necessary. Remember a vets goal is to heal.

Euthanasia

Attitudes towards pet animals vary enormously. And ultimately the choice of your cats passing may well be your choice, consider all your feelings but remember your cat depends on you for a pain free happy, contented life. And as your cat ages euthanasia is obviously on your mind as an owner, but quality of life should always be your first priority. Simple old age and wear and tear can drastically affect the quality of your cats life.

Euthanasia is usually carried out by giving your cat a painless injection of an overdose of barbiturates. It is the same type of injection a pet will receive before surgery but in a larger dose. He/she will become drowsy in five seconds, asleep in ten seconds and dead in fifteen seconds. Your cat will quietly go to sleep and be unaware of what is going on, and will not feel any pain or apprehension and will not struggle. Your cat will quietly cease to be, yet his or her memory will remain with you forever. So please don’t let the act prevent you from making the right choice for you cat when the time comes.

Enjoyment

Please remember ownership of an older cat, is not all doom and gloom their advancing years mean they understand you better than ever. And they appear to expand their vocal sounds by adding a new "miaow" regularly. Life in the slow lane is just as enjoyable as a high speed chase. Take time to smell the flowers, your cat will appreciate a little gentle playtime, and grooming sessions. An empty lap will be filled by an older cat just as quickly as a kitten. What they lack in speed they more than make up for in intelligence and an understanding of your routine. So enjoy the sunset as much as you've enjoyed sharing the rest of the days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #15

I think its a good article, its clear and consise

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
05-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Veterinary advice should be sought if this becomes an ongoing problem, however feeding food to which water, stock or soup has been added to make a thick broth.

This doesn't seem to have an ending. Shouldn't it be "...however, feeding food to which water, stock or soup has been added to make a thick broth can alleviate or prevent this problem"?

Or something, I'm no expert. Very well-written, Kazz! I'm impressed

Catsey Veteran

05-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I think its a good article, its clear and consise
Only because people such as your self have made constructive helpful suggestions for changes. Thank you.

Catsey Veteran

05-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoof
[/font][/size]This doesn't seem to have an ending. Shouldn't it be "...however, feeding food to which water, stock or soup has been added to make a thick broth can alleviate or prevent this problem"?

Or something, I'm no expert. Very well-written, Kazz! I'm impressed
Thank you. I will change it you are right,

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #19

That is a brilliant article Kazz, written from the heart with feeling and understanding of the senior puss......well done!

Catsey Veteran

05-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #20

Come on then you lot get writing your own articles...I've started the ball rolling not put it in the back of the goal