Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #11

Re: How often do you change cat litter?

argh twice I have written a reply and it has vanished!!!

I use either wood based or worlds best.
Wolrds best seems expensive at first, but isnt when yous ee how long it lasts. You scoop as needed, but only change the whole thing once a month, and you can flush it down the loo too.
The wood based can be hard to get poopies out of, as the pellets dont go through the holes in a litter scooper, so I put my hand inside a nappy sack and pick up the poop, then turnt he bag iside out and tie the bag up.

Wood based I change daily.

Every 2 days I empty the trays and bleach them or disenfect them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
04-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #12

I use Asda's Tiger and change every few days, but always removing waste when needed. I use disinfectant too x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie84
...(as I deny them the joys of litter swimming - it still gets everywhere though!).
Rover has an "Olympic" size tray with removeable edge that curves in, so he's allowed to swim. The thin "welcome-mat" he jumps out onto takes most of the litter off his feet (and makes a dandy extra scratch-"post"), so only stray grains where he's *really* been digging for Abyssinia get out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #14

I have a small litter mat, actually got it in the 99p shop, but it works really well as well.ALso depends on the type of litter as to how much gets trodden around the house.
I found the cheap gravely type got everywhere

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
04-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #15

I scoop 3 times a day, and when using normal litter, change every other day. Clumping litter I change weekly. The rescue use woodbased litter, which I dislike due to it turning into sawdust, and Ginger would rather use behind the TV than it, he prefers gravelly stuff - typical I have to start pandering to a cat that hasn't used one in ages, but his age must be meaning he can't hold it in overnight anymore, bless him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
04-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #16

change whole thing out once a day....about half past eighties (due doing now!) and by this time it thoroughlly stinks as my cats are utter weirdos who come in from outside to use the litter tray for their business instead of the great wild yonder...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
04-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #17

I use clumping litter and c hange it every time there is something in it, Wiggy is usually the only Cat that uses it and he wont use it if there is something in it! He just looks at it and waits.
Dawn,

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
05-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #18

I use this stuff - it is FANTASTIC - well worth the cost.

I skip out morning and evening (Jenny comes in to use the litter tray , the others usually go outside unless the weather is horrible) but only have to clean/disinfect weekly, sometimes even fortnightly (claims to last a month, wouldn't want to push it that long!). And still no smells, no problems - the crystals last really well.

I use Tescos value nappy sacks for disposal.

EDIT: nearly forgot... I have a cheap coir runner, which I think I got from Argos, which runs along the hallway and picks up stray crystals from paws so they don't get all over the house!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
15-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #19

Mats only work if stray litter is being carried on their feet.

It's Tom's bog-brush tail I have problems with - everything gets stuck in it and he, being male, will only shake it off on a newly hoovered bit of carpet!

I use Bob Martins paper cat litter because it hurts less when you stand on it!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
15-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #20

Good point. Tail hair-net, perhaps?