Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #11

Re: cat flap query.................

I wouldn't have thought it would be as much as that quote. However, there will probably be damage to the plasterwork on the inside which may need redecorating - or a well-matched 'touch up'.
If you think about moving on (before you've even moved in!) a hole in the glass door will prob be less of a 'no-no) than a hole in the wall to non cat people.
The glass quote looks a bit high to me. I'm sure I've seen ads ofering it from £40 (maybe that's single glazed?). I'll see if I can find anything and get back.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #12

Thanks DM - I know that single glazed is much cheaper and that's what I thought the patio doors were until I double checked on Wednesday

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #13

Seems a lot of Money Charlie. Why don't you try some smaller local glaziers? May be a bit cheaper.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #14

I think you'll find that cat flap manufacturers recommend this should only be done at the time the glass unit is manufactured, Charlie...

Have you got a local double glazing company you could ask how much it would cost to have a new double glazed door with the appropriate size hole made for the cat flap?

It should also be a lot cheaper if you ask for a quote from a local glazier....

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #15

From my reading around I get the impression that the consensus is Don't Do IT as far as getting it in a double glazed pane is concerned.
So, you need a proper builder, with a proper builders drill with a huge bit/cutter, like they'd use to pass a pipe through a wall or install a vent-axia. Shouldn't take more than half an hour ... most difficult thing will probably finding someone to do such a small job

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I think you'll find that cat flap manufacturers recommend this should only be done at the time the glass unit is manufactured, Charlie...

Have you got a local double glazing company you could ask how much it would cost to have a new double glazed door with the appropriate size hole made for the cat flap?

It should also be a lot cheaper if you ask for a quote from a local glazier....
Yes, that is what they said Mags. They manufacture a new piece of glass to measure - with the hole for the cat flap in it.

I will get other quotes once I have the exact measurements of the glass that I need. At the moment the measurements are only approximate, as I only measured the french doors for the purposes of curtains!!!

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
From my reading around I get the impression that the consensus is Don't Do IT as far as getting it in a double glazed pane is concerned.
So, you need a proper builder, with a proper builders drill with a huge bit/cutter, like they'd use to pass a pipe through a wall or install a vent-axia. Shouldn't take more than half an hour ... most difficult thing will probably finding someone to do such a small job
Yes, you are right to an extent. From what I have read they do say don't do it, as in don't make a hole for a cat-flap in existing double glazing. However, as the company I spoke to said..........they can make a new piece of double-glazed toughened glass with the hole created at the time of manufacture, so it is strengthened etc at that time.

It just makes it more expensive.

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #18

Think the wall will be cheaper - and if you put the flap behind the curtain the cats will be able to get in and out fine but the cat flap won't show from inside the room. And you won't get a draught! The cats will soon get used to feeling their way out from yards of curtain material!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #19

Regarding a hole in the wall. I really don't know what you would expect to pay for this type of work Charlie, hubby did mine, both of them and I can tell you the air was more than a little bit blue whilst the work was in progress!!

I reckon your best bet would be to get a smaller builder / handyperson to give you a quote rather than going to one of the bigger building companies.

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Regarding a hole in the wall. I really don't know what you would expect to pay for this type of work Charlie, hubby did mine, both of them and I can tell you the air was more than a little bit blue whilst the work was in progress!!
How much does he charge!?!?!?! lol