Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
27-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #11

Re: The Indoor cat versus the Outdoor cat

All of my cats have always been outdoor cats. I think they probably always will be aswell - having had all of them outdoors I would feel that I was depriving them of something by not letting them outside - I know that indoor cats lead very happy lives too so I'm not against anyone keeping cats indoors but I think that's just how I would feel.

I could never convert Amber to an indoor cat, she just loves being outside! If I lock the catflap for any reason, like she's going to the vet or something, she will sit there and scratch/meow at the flap. Sometimes she will dissapear for 2 days at a time and she does worry me sick - I'm constantly out checking the roads when she hasn't been around all day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #12

Patches, who I rehomed at 1 1/2 years old had been a cat with outdoor access. She adapted quite well to being indoors only with daily walks on her harness. She lived to 20, and in her last few years didn't particularly want to go out at all...

Cats owned: Many types
28-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #13

Wow thanks guys, reading everyones different stories is indeed a great help ...I appreciate people taking the time too respond too my lengthy thread hehe, and especially being it has been done b4, but I just had too get it off my chest so too speak, and Thankyou all whom have responded

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-07-2007, 03:05 AM   #14

Nobody minds doing a subject again: we have new members, and lets face it, we all like talking about our cats and our opinions! As I said earlier, this is going to vary depending on your circumstances, and whatever you decide to do is right for you!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
28-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #15

yes we like brining up old threads because we have new members joining nearly everyday

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
28-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #16

my cats are all outside cats - when I first had them I lived in a flat with no garden and on although not a busy road - people used to drive way too fast on it - so they only got limited access outside with me. Now they have 24 hour access via a catflap - - this will be the last time however I have cats that have outdoor access because the stress is too much. There are too many people out there just wanting to hurt them - which is a shame because we chose this house for the location the field, the woods - no roads.....

So I have outside cats at the moment - but in future I will have indoor cats with access to an enclosed garden

Cats owned: Many types
28-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #17

Thankyou very much dandysmom and mable I am glad it was okay too post the thread then and it has been very informative ! Thnkyou all !

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black & White & All Black & kittens
28-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #18

Well my cats are outdoor cats, because I live in the middle of the countryside with a huge area of trees etc almost on my back door step. There is a main road at the top of our road, but they ne er venture in that direction anyway.

On the other hand 3 of the kittens I've rehomed have gone to be indoor cats & I have no problem with that whatsoever.

chris xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #19

I think this is probably the most personal of all 'what to do with my cat' decisions and I would never blame anyone for their choice.
I think it's nice for the cats to get out, and think if circumstances forced me into an inappropriate house/garden I would do the cat fencing or a cat run, so they could get out. However, if that was impossible i wouldn't beat myself up too much - just try to make their indoor environment nice and interesting and try to prevent them getting overweight.