Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
23-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #11

Re: Merlin has had his cyst drained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Nice thought, Grete. The vet has not suggested this and I expect he would get very panicky as he would not understand what was happening. Sorry to hear you have to go through it though.

I meant Merlin would get panicky, not the vet!
Lol I knew what you meant but I did have a brief vision of a vet running round the room going 'is it meant to do that???'

My cyst removals are fine, done by one of the doctors at my practice as minor surgery. Doesn't hurt at all and is midly fascinating when the shell comes out... that's all I'm going to say

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #12

Gorgeous boy!! I'm sure you will be fine aspirating the cyst, once you've done it the first time it'll get easier.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #13

I've brought this thread back because it reminds me of the timescale behind this cyst and because of a story I heard at my chiropodist last Thursday.

I see that I said right at the beginning of the thread that Merlin is too old for an operation to remove the cyst. I am beginning to wonder. Mrs H (not Catsey's MrsH) told me that her son will do anything for his animals and his cat, aged 22, had two cancerous growths, one on his head and the other on his leg. Both his wife and the vet thought it kinder to pts, but the man was having none of it - talked it through with vet who advised that if cat died under anaesthetic, man would still have to pay for op. Man said pah .... my cat deserves all you can do for him (or suchlike). Op went ahead, cat was fine and now has a new lease of life and is running about like a young cat.

Not long after the last post by Fran (as above) Merlin's cyst was just about ready for me to try my first drain, but he ripped it open. I have to say the smell was not nice. The cyst has been running ever since. I bath it regularly but it does goo all over the place and sometimes when he shakes his head the stuff flies about. (Sorry this is the grotty bit). I am now seriously considering whether I should get the cyst removed.

Was "the man" just very courageous on behalf of his cat and am I being cowardly? Have to say that Merlin doesn't seem to mind gooing everywhere, it's not as if he's in pain with it or at least I don't think he is.

What do you think - is it worth the risk?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #14

I have to say it is a very difficult question.
I think that hero stories are just that. We tell them because they explain adverse reactions to the norm. But the world is full of them and they are great to lift our moods.
How do you feel in your gut? Do you think Merlin could handle the stress really, do you think he could handle the anaesthetic? Could you handle it if he died under these conditions? Would you be kicking yourself if you thought "I could have just continued to do the daily clean of his cyst"
Strange things also happen during an op and there is risk with any operation but much much greater for an older cat who is frail before as their hearts cant handle the anaesthetic in their bodies.
You know your cat Angie but I don't think anyone would be able to tell you to go for it Sorry X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #15

It's almost an impossible one to calculate Ang. Merlin could be fine, could pull through without a hitch, or alternatively he might not. I had an FIV cat that didn't make it through a routine dental. However, with Ferdy it was a matter of time and if that hadn't done for him something else would as his immunity was breaking down.

The one thing to consider is the risk of the weeping cyst becoming infected. Is that a possibility? If so, consider the fact that Merlin might not be strong enough to fight the infection . . .

There is no right answer, and as you know Merlin almost as well as you know yourself only you can make that decision - it's not easy but I know you will make the one that is right for him.

Catsey Veteran

08-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #16

Thanks for your views both of you - they mirror much of what I feel - what if he died just having a cyst removed? A cancerous tumour being removed is something life threatening in itself. As to infection, I do keep a careful eye on it Yola. I try to bathe it with Hibiscrub every day. Merlin is nearly always really good about that and I do have his head really close to mine while I am doing it - I'm sure I'd catch any smell of infection or see a change in the cyst sac.

I just don't want to look back and think that I could have got rid of the cyst and he wouldn't have been carrying that with him in his autumn days - without good reason that it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #17

Angie, that is a real dilemma. Have you discussed this at all with your vet? While he doesn't know Merlin as well as you do, he might be able to give you an assessment from the professional side as to the risks of either decision....a little more data might make it easier for you to make a choice....(((hugs)))!

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #18

Hello again to all Merlin's Catsey friends.

I need to tell you the continuing saga about the cyst - history as above, which is why I'm reviving this thread so that you can remind yourself of what's already happened. Previously on Merlin's cyst ..........

After reading the above, I realised that I have never actually attempted to drain it at all. Somewhere back in the thread, you may see (if you're sticking with this!) that before I could do anything, Merlin tore it open himself. Well, ever since then it's been weeping/oozing or gooing in differing quantities and lately has been getting quite bad. I do bathe it for him every day and keep a close eye so that I know it's not getting infected. Anyway, this afternoon I screwed up my courage and thought if I could relieve the pressure, perhaps it wouldn't weep so much. This is the first time that I have actually managed to get OH to help by holding Merlin down for me that manage to get a good look at the underside of the cyst. Anyway I scrubbed up and went in with the sterile needle etc and my, did it bleed! But strangely it did not seem to bleed from the puncture mark I had made, but from the opening underneath that Merlin made for himself. That is very curious as it is like a cross and that's where all the stuff seems to come from and shows no sign of healing. Anyway bleeding stopped, Merlin seems fine and has eaten all his supper.

Can I ask therefore - is it best that the cyst discharges through the aperture or would it be better for that to be sutured and for the pressure to build up again inside the cyst?

Not sure if the above is clear or not. Will read through before posting! But what do you think???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #19

I'm afraid I know too little about that to even dream of offering a suggestion. I would call my vet and see what he has to say....... (((hugs))) to you both!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #20

Oh dear, I'm really not sure Angie, perhaps a quick chat to the vets would be best, I haven't ever dealt with draining cysts to be of any more help but i do send lots of love and cuddles to that dear old kitty xxx