Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #11

Re: Beauty's weight

2KG? That does sound exceptionally light! My Darcy who was a tiny little thing weighed just over 3KG and he was light as a feather even though he ate like a horse!

I know CRF can cause dramatic weight loss, but I would also recommend a vet re-check as Beauty seems very underweight. Has there been an overall downward trend in her weight or has she been stable at 2KG for some time?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
26-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-me...at_weights.pdf

Sounds really under weight to me. Did the vet make any comment about her weight? I know it can be very difficult to get CRF cats to eat and maintain a healthy weight, so I am in no way criticising.
Is she getting any other meds other than the prescription diet? Can i ask again what her latest blood values are?
How is she in herself?
She WAS having the Katalax, but we've stopped giving it to her, grooming her really well instead. She won't take the Katalax now so we can't get it in her I think she's bored with it now)

She's purr-fectly her normal self, but a little more lazy in herself (there again her arthritis gets really bad sometimes so she can't get up stairs any more - she either half drags herself upstairs or I carry her up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
2KG? That does sound exceptionally light! My Darcy who was a tiny little thing weighed just over 3KG and he was light as a feather even though he ate like a horse!

I know CRF can cause dramatic weight loss, but I would also recommend a vet re-check as Beauty seems very underweight. Has there been an overall downward trend in her weight or has she been stable at 2KG for some time?
Well, her just having her prescription food makes her weight going down a little, so we are supplementing her diet with senior food (wet and dry, what she will eat), chicken, turkey and tuna.

The vet didn't say anything, we told him what she weighs (weighed her at home)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

You mentioned yesterday that you were weighing Beauty today, what was today's reading?

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #14

Going to weigh her now ...

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #15

Just weighed her, but either the scales are wrong or she's lost weight - it came up as 1kg this time?

(well, 4kg but the cage we weighed her in weighs 3kg - 4 - 3 = 1)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #16

I've never had a cat where I've had to worry about their weight so I'm sure it must be a real worry for you.

I usually go by the covering over their ribs. If I have to poke - too fat, if I can feel every bump then too thin. Not sure how best to put weight on them tho'. Are one of the science diets perhaps for weight gain?

I do hope all is well and you can get in improvement in the weight. Would your vet not have said if he thought it was an issue?

CM

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
Just weighed her, but either the scales are wrong or she's lost weight - it came up as 1kg this time?

(well, 4kg but the cage we weighed her in weighs 3kg - 4 - 3 = 1)
I really think you should get your vet to weigh her, it is worrying if she has lost more weight..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
I've never had a cat where I've had to worry about their weight so I'm sure it must be a real worry for you.

I usually go by the covering over their ribs. If I have to poke - too fat, if I can feel every bump then too thin. Not sure how best to put weight on them tho'. Are one of the science diets perhaps for weight gain?

I do hope all is well and you can get in improvement in the weight. Would your vet not have said if he thought it was an issue?

CM
Leia has ribs?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Leia has ribs?????
LOL - Well, I'm sure she must have! Perhaps she keeps them hidden from you?

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
LOL - Well, I'm sure she must have! Perhaps she keeps them hidden from you?

CM
I remember she did have some many years ago; have not felt them lately....a well padded puss!! 14 pounds .....