Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
13-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #11

Re: Pip, our guinea pig.

Thanks everybody, I feel a bit more composed now. We were with Pip when she was PTS, although I don't think she was aware. The vets tried all they could but her body just couldn't cope.
I saw the cysts and they were both bigger than golf balls, and grew very quickly, the vet said the had even grown, obviously, from when he saw her on Tuesday(I think). He thought the would have burst over the next few days.
One cyst was full of straw coloured fluid, but the other one looked black, we think as it was full of blood, it also had adhesions onto the gut and the kidney, which was removed. I asked Kevin, the vet to take some photos of them, as I was too upset, if he got the chance and will post them if he gets time to take some.
Little Pipkin is quite upset as she has never been on her own before, so we are discussing our options. I trying to figure out if it would be better to get Pipkin speyed before she develops ones, as out of the 4 girls we have lost 3 had diagnosed cysts, does any other guinea pig keeper do this as routine.
I would rather risk an op while she is well, than when she was sick and older, but I'm don't know what is for the best.