Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #11

Re: What would you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Have you looked into what the diseases can do!
Yes I have, have you looking into over vaccination and what that can do?

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #12

Dont forget up untill recently everything should be boosted each year, weird though Vets changed their minds lately to every third year, why was that??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #13

I suspect it was the companies who produce the vaccines rather than the vets who decided on a 3 yearly plan and that is only for distemper.

I haven't really studied what 'over vaccination ' does because I have had no problems and working in a vet know of very few clients who have, I can think of one who blames vaccination for problems.
I do, however remember when people didn't tend to vaccinate and dogs were dying weekly with distemper, and in fact we nearly lost our first puppy to parvo before the vaccine was developed. The reason these diseases are seldom heard of now is because of the vaccination programme.
I certainly would not risk my cats catching Felv and if there was a vaccine for FIV I would happily do it every 6 months if they said it was needed to avoid losing an animal to it, which I have already done.

To my mind the slight risk of a reaction to the vaccine far outweights the risk of these diseases rearing their heads again because people don't do it any more. If the number of people vaccinating drops below 70%, we can expect outbreaks of these diseases, not a very low percentage. All our vets vaccinate their own animals, if they didn't believe in it they wouldn't bother, would they? I wonder if there was an outbreak how many people would start vaccinating again.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I suspect it was the companies who produce the vaccine rather than the vet who decided and that is only for distemper.
Yes but that was MUCH earlier than most Vets would impliment it, we see the evidence for ourselves every day. Try looking for yourself at your own cards for your dog see what it says. While your at it, see if your Vet charges you for 2 vaccs as opposed to 8 two years running!

Quote:
I haven't really studied what 'over vaccination ' does because I have had no problems and working in a vet know of very few clients who have, I can think of one who blames vaccination for problems.
You should, and of course a Vet would never admit his bread and butter was to blame, you must remember that a Vet should only vaccinate a HEALTHY animal, (manufacturers guidelines) can you say that for your Vet?

Quote:
I do, however remember when people didn't tend to veccinate and dogs were dying weekly with distemper, and in fact we nearly lost our first puppy to parvo before the vaccine was developed. The reason these diseases are seldom heard of now is because of the vaccination programme.
Really? thats a great assumption.

Quote:
I certainly would not risk my cats catching Felv and if there was a vaccine for FIV I would happily do it every 6 months if they said it was needed to avoid losing an animal to it, which I have already done
Neither would I, which is why they are secure on my property and not allowed to roam where feral and possibly infected Cats are straying.

Quote:
To my mind the slight risk of a reaction to the vacine far outweights the risk of these disease rearing their heads again because people don't do it any more. If the number of people vaccinating drops below 70%, we can expect outbreaks of these disease, not a very low percentage. All our vets vaccinate their own animals, if they didn't believe in it they wouldn't bother, would they? I wonder if there was an outbreak how many people would start vaccinating again.
So you now say there is a slight risk? its a bit more than slight though.

Please back up your percentage statements, they mean nothing without proof.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #15

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/daily...IsYourPet9.htm

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...ne_Article.htm

http://users.on.net/~peter.hart/Over...tice%20(2).pdf

Just a few......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #16

I don't think I would vaccinate if your gang were mine I did not get the cats boosters....stopped when they were about 3 I think....but Sal still gets hers mostly because finding a decent kennels if the need arose would be impossible without the boosters (although she has never been kenneled)....does your boarding kennels take dogs withut boosters in place then Dawn?

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I don't think I would vaccinate if your gang were mine I did not get the cats boosters....stopped when they were about 3 I think....but Sal still gets hers mostly because finding a decent kennels if the need arose would be impossible without the boosters (although she has never been kenneled)....does your boarding kennels take dogs withut boosters in place then Dawn?
No Kazz, we have to abide by the lisencing laws, the council laws and the boarding establishment act, NONE of which are medically qualified. we have no option.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Not a chance Id vaccinate pets like that. I dont vaccinate after first kitten/puppy vaccs any more, way too many auto immune problems in pets caused by it.
Me neither, bu$$er getting them into kennels though without them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
23-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #19

Same as Dawn and Kel, and I have people petsit should we go away instead. One of the dogs got chronic blood content dire-rear and got seriously ill with dehydration etc after her puppy vacs, and Clementine back in the day had a horrible skin reaction where the whole area around the site of the jab swelled up and was quite disgusting. No all of ours get puppy n kitten ones and thats it, and even then I panic like crazy through fear of reactions.