Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
18-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #261

Re: Very worried about Teddy

Aww Alex, you're very welcome! The more of the thread I read the more familiar it sounded. Do you know, I don't think we gave her supplements as such, but I have a vague recollection of giving her Sherleys Lactol (milk powder) to drink occasionally to boost her strength. Probably seen as quite an old fashioned product these
days, but might be worth a go. Wouldn't go overboard with it though as might be a bit rich. It was quite a few years ago, and the old memory's not what it was!

However, I can remember the absolute despair I felt sometimes when the diarrhoea kept coming back. You really do have my sympathy. I sincerely hope Teddie continues to improve.

It's making me feel a bit better about my sad loss to be able to hopefully help someone else!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #262

Thanks Sammy. I have really despaired over these last weeks with Teddie. As you know, it is heartbreaking to see them trying to get to a litter tray and not being able to make it in time. And many times I have considered whether it would be kinder to let her go, but apart from that one time a few weeks back when she was very down, she has always been quite alert and inquisitive. And today she has been much more like the kitten she is. I think DM mentioned giving her the supplements (probably the modern version of the milk powder , lol) so I think it probably won't hurt just to be on the safe side as she is definintely smaller than she should be at this age.

I hope you are managing to keep positive at the moment and remember the wonderful times you had with your cat. I'm sure there were many wonderful moments with her. Please feel free to share some of those with us on here (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
18-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #263

Alex, the cat in question, Beryl (yes, I know!), was also small, and continued to be so throughout her life, but it didn't stop her having a full and happy life. As you say, the supplements probably wouldn't hurt. Maybe we gave her the Lactol because it was easier than giving her tablets - we found out how averse she was to that late in her life when she had an overactive thryroid!

I'm a bit up and down at the moment, just have to keep reminding myself that she had a very happy, albeit short, time with us. She was a real bundle of fun and loved being with my other cats - she'd have hated being an only cat, even though that's what the RSPCA thought when we adopted her. I'll probably post more about her when I feel I can do it without flooding my laptop with tears!

Take care Alex, and good on you for persevering with Teddie. I reckon you'll get there in the end. Like I said earlier, it's probably more distressing to you than her - I certainly thought that with Beryl. If I (or any of the vets I saw!) really thought she was desperately unhappy, we would have let her go.

Sammy.x

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #264

Teddie had rather a bad night again. I went in to the kitchen this mornnig to find the floor covered again. HOWEVER, there may be a reason for it. OH confessed to me when I told him, that Teddie managed to 'escape' from the kitchen last night when he had gone in to make a coffee. he hadn't noticed and came out to find Teddie sitting besides Broxi and Coopers bowls licking her lips!!!!! Needless to say, OH has sore ears from the rollicking I gave him and Teddie is on strict quarantine!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #265

Grr to your OH for not telling you!! Fingers crossed that is the only reason

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #266

Oh dear, let's hope it was just due to her little night feast!

I hope OH has learnt from the rollicking Alex!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #267

Hope this is a one-off. Naughty OH

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #268

Oh I hope it's just a temporary setback due to her 'feast' Fingers crossed things get back on track...

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #269

She has used the litter tray a few times since this morning and while it is still runny, she is at least managing to get to the tray now. It amazes me how lively she has remained through all of this.

Question - do you think it would be worthwhile talking to me vet tomorrow and see if he will treat her for giardia as a precaution? I don't know whether it would make her worse or not, and just with so many people saying that it is difficult to detect, I'm wondering if it's worth a go!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #270

Don't know on that one
Might be worth just seeing how the fish diet goes for a couple of weeks at least, and get some weight on her.
But it might be worth getting professional help again
Your call.
I think I might leave it (but be exceptionally careful about hygiene - not that you wouldn't anyway)