Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #271

Re: Very worried about Teddy

I hav gone through so much anti bacterial wipes/spray/bleach etc over the last few weeks it is unbelievable DM! lol. As she isn't showing any other sign of illness, I think you're right, I'll stick with the fish diet for the next few weeks and see how she goes. It's just a nightmare trying to stop her eating other food. If you let her out of the kitchen she's like a little hoover, nose to the floor to see what crumbs she can pick up. My carpet is in danger of becoming threadbare through toomuch hoovering!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #272

Poor thing - but surely a good sign that she still has a healthy appetite!

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #273

The appetite has never been in question DM! Only once has she not wanted to eat and she made up for that at the next meal lol! You should hear her eat! If you've ever watched the kids cartoon Taz and heard the spluttering spitting noise he makes........that's Teddie!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #274

Aww, bless her. I personally would speak to the vet, but just a phone call to see what they think.

Catsey Veteran

20-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #275

She hasn't done a thing since yesterday, runny or otherwise, I don't think she's getting full enough from the fish. I spoke to my vet this morning as I'm concerned because Broxis stools have been loose for the last week now, and he was sick last night too, and after looking up girdia on the web I just thought I'd check with him. The decision has been taken to treat all 3 cats with metronidazole for 3 weeks as a blanket treatment in case it is giardia, and tbh I think there's a good chance it is. He has warned me that it could make the diarhhea worse in Teddie and give Broxi and Cooper the runs too. He wanted me to have promax paste for all 3!!!! And at £14.98 a tube and would need at least 4 tubes, that went out the window pretty quickly, so will have protectin (sp) powder instead to go with it. Have to take them all in tomorrow to be weighted as to be given the correct dosage of antibiotics, so will keep you posted on how it's going (oh and they will ALL have to be on the invalid diet for the next few weeks, was this the same case for you Fran)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #276

Alex, just to warn you that Metronidazole is the drug of choice for Giardia but it made Porsha's diarrhoea 10 times worse and she only had 10 days of it. So my vet decided to switch her to Baytril - a 3 week course which has sorted her out. The invalid diet wasn't suggested for Porsha as in the very early days when we gave her this diet it made absolutely no difference at all. She was on Royal Canin kitten and Roya Canin sensitive pouches and the vet and I decided we would keep her on these as swapping foods all the time wasn't giving us a true picture of what medicines would work and which ones wouldn't. Changing diets and meds, there were just too many variables all at once. Good luck with this. Porsha had her Metronidazole in liquid form as I think she was too small for the tablets and I'll warn you that it isn't very palatable!!

Catsey Veteran

20-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #277

I wish to God,I knew what to do for the best Fran. Should I wait a while before giving them the metronidazole and see if Teddie improves herself first (and what about Broxis runs?) or try this and end up with all 3 cats having serious diarrhea? The thing is that they are all happy and well in themselves and I'm worried about giving them unnecessary treatment as we don't know for sure that it is giardia, and making them all ill.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
20-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #278

((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I wish to God,I knew what to do for the best Fran. Should I wait a while before giving them the metronidazole and see if Teddie improves herself first (and what about Broxis runs?) or try this and end up with all 3 cats having serious diarrhea? The thing is that they are all happy and well in themselves and I'm worried about giving them unnecessary treatment as we don't know for sure that it is giardia, and making them all ill.
It's a tough call isn't it Alex? Have all the cats had a 3 day course of Panacur? It's not licensed for Giardia in cats but it is in dogs but this was the first thing my vet decided to try with Porsha. And all my cats and dogs were given 3 days of Panacur when Porsha was diagnosed as a precaution and touch wood no-body else here developed diarrhoea.
At the end of the day, you have to follow your gut instinct and your vet's advice. It is certainly strange that Bronxi has the runs now too but it doesn't necessarily mean that they both have a Giardia infection. I'm not sure what to advise you Alex. Could you seek a second opinion from a different vet?

Catsey Veteran

20-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #280

I went in to a nother vet today but they said they couldn't advise me unles I took Teddie into them and had her records transfered from the other vets! None of them have had panacur, the wormer they have had is milbemax, and the vet hasn't mentioned panacur. The worst of it is Teddie has done a poo today which is the closest thing to normal she's done since we've had her, and Cooper isn't runny and I would have thought he would be the one to contract giardia rather than Broxi! Oh, I don't know what to do!!!