Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
08-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #21

Re: Hyperthyroism treatment? Poorly cat in need of some..

i agree, if the surgery isn't necessary, then don't do it. i think you are wise to just keep her on the pills for now, and i'm so glad to hear how well she is doing on them! a very good update

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #22

Pleased to hear she's dong so well now. I agree with Tink re the vaccinations; think you made a wise decision to cancel the op for now. Thanks for the good news.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
Her blood's fine, and organ's are in good shape too. She has put on weight, her fur's gained back it's gloss again after being dull for almost a year, and after almost three weeks on Carbimazole everyone's commenting on how well she now looks .I think the levels have adjusted and she's not sleeping all day and night anymore, yaaay! She's now gained her confidence back to venture outdoors again and it was heartwarming to see her join mum for some affection and sunshine on the garden bench yesterday, bless her. I am going to cancel the op for now, probably for good, and keep a close eye on both her anal gland and her thyroid. I think it best to cancel the op for 2 reasons: 1) If her anal gland needs operating on in the near future then I'll be glad I didn't put her thru the thyroid op when she is already doing ok on the tablets. 2) If it ain't broke (on the tablets), don't fix it, let's keep things simple. There is just one thing that's nagging me..I don't know what the long term ramifications are for her system on these tablets and would be interested to hear of anyone else who has a cat who has been on tablets for a while.
Hiya, so glad to hear she is doing well. As to your question, my Teddie was on Carbimazole for nearly 5 years and lived to the age of 20, so it didn't seem to have any ill effects on her.

Hope puss continues to improve!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
10-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #24

Thanks Tinks, Sammy et al, that's good news. I was a bit wary as to go down the tablet route after one of my previous boy's was on tablets for his thyroid which didn't agree with him at all (but then he did hav feline aids as well despite being all up to date with innoculations). ...But my lil girlie's doing fine and she goes MAD for her (supplement of) organic raw chicken breast. Gona try her on some wings as I understand she'll ber needing calcium with raw meat, as in nature (eat whole carcass etc). But she continues to thrive and strengthen each day. Carbimazole's good too because it's just once a day, and for a cat who enjoys the outdoors alot I don't have to worry tooo much about chasing her round the house 2 or 3x p.day! She does pretend to swallow somrtimes and I used to find the tablet a little while later on occasions but I give her a drizzle of water in a syringe and make SURE she swallows it PROPERLY now, the sly old girl!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
10-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #25

raw supplementation is EXCELLENT for them and you are so very lucky she's taken to it so well. i'd love to see a picture of her eating as cats are so finicky they can be harder to introduce to raw
i am so happy to hear she's eating this!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #26

I'll try and get a piccie of her eating her fave nibblz Tinks from my hand, bit difficult downloading on library pc but I'll get one thru, at least of her being her usual adorable self. Be patient tho.