Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
12-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #21

Re: indoor or outdoor cat

Moli's started spending more time outside, even runs past the back door when we open it to let her in She has definately started to become an outdoor cat and will spend all day outside either in our garden or under the hedge between us and next door. Only yesterday, OH was working on a few cars and she sat there on the bonet of one of the cars watching him, it was funny to see. She stayed with him all day, the only time she left his side was when she wanted something to eat and came in for that then legged it back outside. She just gone out again this morning and it's snowing here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #22

twix and oatemal are allowed in and out as they please.

BUt Mr Darcy and princess are ekpt in for the reasons Kay mentioned, thier a little dumb about road sense and would get pinched. Theyre both happy with it, MR Darcy doesnt even TRY and get out the cat flap of the door.
I ahve taken him into the garden 2-3 times, first time he jumped up intomy arms and stayed there, so now sometimes i carry him around the garden. Big softy!!!

soon as we move hubby going to sort some inverted fencing out so PF and MD can go in the garden, also going to build a conservatroy type room on the back of the house for the cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #23

Think I am what they call an over protective mum LOL.
Winston has always been an indoor cat because when he was a kitten, we also had his brother Mutley. Mutley was blind and so it didnt seem fair to let one out but no the other. Having said that, Mutley was the one with no sense of fear. When we moved here, we have a back garden which is enclosed by a big wall. Mutley used to wonder outside with me and was very funny to watch because his movements were different from a cat with sight. Winston had the option to come out too but would only ever come to the back door and watch. Mutley sadly died at the age of 5.
Woody, Winstons long time companion was also an indoor cat. If I ever went down stairs to hang out washing or sit in the garden, I always left the doors open, so they could come out if they wanted to but they never did. Both prefered to sit at the back door and watch. Woody died 2 years ago.
Then came Eva. As a kitten, obviously, she was always indoors. As she got older she began to express a wish to go out. After she was spayed we started to let her out the back but only with supervision at first, Graham was always scared that some one would steal his little princess. All last summer, Eva would be outside with me and she loved it. We never let her out when we are not home to keep an eye on her. Then builders knocked down the boundary wall which left access to a very busy road, so we felt it wasnt safe for her anymore. The wall has now been re-instated but she so hates the rain and snow and for now preffers to sit on the stairwell windows or the back door.
Bernie has been indoors since his arrival and hasnt expressed a wish to go outside as yet. I would like him to have the choice just as soon as Eva becomes more accepting of him. Having said that though, I think we would have to put up some cat proof fencing as Bernie is much more agile than Eva and I fear he may be able to get up and over the wall.
Having said all that, if we get our house in the country then we will probably have to rethink everything again but dont know till I see tha layout of house/garden etc.

Having no wish or desire for children, my cats are my babies and i want them to be safe and happy. It is my responsibility to try to make sure that no harm comes to them.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
12-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #24

Mine are allowed out, as are the two long termers. Took me ages to let Molly out though cos of the weather and the fact she only showed an interest at night!! All apart from Ginger are in during the day - Ginger is only allowed to stay out cos he goes to my neighbours, so I know he is somewhere during the day. Ginger could never be an indoor only cat, he had to stay in for 10 days after an op the other year, and he got really depressed. It does depend on your cat and where you live though - I have to say I would pick the next house on what it is like for the cats.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #25

All my three are indoor for the reasons mentioned by Kay. However, I have had the garden cat-proofed so that they can go out in the back garden in the summer (only when I am at home though). They have loads of toys and activity centres to keep them amused in the meantime

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
12-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #26

All my babes are indoor, I had 3 poisoned by my neighbour last year....something I don't want to go through again At least indoor you know they are safe and no harm is going to come to them

Mine have also got plenty of toys and cat posts to keep them amused and they also have plenty of friends

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyDawn
All my babes are indoor, I had 3 poisoned by my neighbour last year....something I don't want to go through again At least indoor you know they are safe and no harm is going to come to them

Mine have also got plenty of toys and cat posts to keep them amused and they also have plenty of friends
thats horrid of your neighbour, are all the cats ok now??
bles them, how nasty can you be??

what happened about it? Did the neighbour get in trouble or anything? poor cats

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
12-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #28

The 3 that were poisoned all died within a day of each other

We have woods at the back of us and that's where they all hung out but they all stuck together.....the neighbour knew where they all went and we only have him next door to us. I caught him in there a few times but it's private property so he shouldn't have been there unless he was up to no good I did inform the police but proving it is a different story........he will get payback in time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyDawn

The same thing happened to one of my moggies many years ago, again by a neighbour. Unfortunately he died. Our vet did a PM on him and said he had been feed weedkiller in milk deliberately. He went from being a big beautiful ginger tom to nothing in 24 hours and had to be pts. He was in agony. So I totally agree with you.

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #30

oh, im sorry, I didnt mean to drag up bad memories like that. WHy is it the police dont do anything when you need them to?

i cant understand why aybody would poison someones pets, it's horrid