Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #21

Re: look who's pregnant..

liver to liver only ever produces liver unless both parents carry yellow in which case the puppies will be yellow and liver. Yellow is a seperate gene to the choc/black one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Yes - you've got it Smudgley! I think the same could apply mixing goldens with labs and flatties come to that? Obviously, goldens are only yellow but if the lab carries yellow then I would think Bimgo! yellow puppies
Yes that makes sense.
All the pure FCR's we have - black or liver always produce black when crossed with a GR.
we've only once mated a black lab to a liver FCR & all pups were black.(only ever done that cross once)
But I do know a dog that is half FCR & half GR - she's black. When mated to a GR she had some black & some yellow. I guess because they were three quater GR's and only a quater FCR.

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Oh hang on just re-read your post L to L - but both parents carry yellow can produce yellow. So that could apply in labs?
Yes But it's quite rare as yellow out of liver is not desirable. The majority of chocs won't carry yellow but it does happen

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #24

Gnetics is the one thing that I can never get my head around. But I do know I was shocked once when a BL bitch mated to a BL dog produced all 3 colours (what I din't realise at the time is that they both have 1 choc parent each) we don't really have any chocs in our lines, but she was bought in (so not our breeding)& mated to an outside (ie not a GDBA stud)

This is far too complicated for me.

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Yes that makes sense.
All the pure FCR's we have - black or liver always produce black when crossed with a GR.
we've only once mated a black lab to a liver FCR & all pups were black.(only ever done that cross once)
But I do know a dog that is half FCR & half GR - she's black. When mated to a GR she had some black & some yellow. I guess because they were three quater GR's and only a quater FCR.
Yes by the law of colour genetics FCR to a golden will only produce black because FCR don't come in yellow and goldens don't come in liver

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #26

Thanks for that fran. how on earth did we get onto that anyway

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for that fran. how on earth did we get onto that anyway
I find colour gentics fascinating. Labs must be one of the easiest as there are only three colours. Something like Staffords and I am way out of my depth and cats - well I can't get my head around their colour genetics at all

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Gnetics is the one thing that I can never get my head around. But I do know I was shocked once when a BL bitch mated to a BL dog produced all 3 colours (what I din't realise at the time is that they both have 1 choc parent each) we don't really have any chocs in our lines, but she was bought in (so not our breeding)& mated to an outside (ie not a GDBA stud)

This is far too complicated for me.
Yes you can definitely get a rainbow litter out of a bl/bl mating if both parents carry choc and yellow you will get all three colours

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #29

you'd think FCR's would be even easier with only 2 colours.

Good job it's not my job to decide who's mated with who.

Anyway we do know that blue to blue produces blue in kittens. (I think that's what Kay said)

Oh yes & whilst we're on the subject. Any idea where mismarkings come from? that does fascinate me. Like a yellow dog with a black splodge? or a black lab with brindle markings?

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #30

Mismarks tend to be carried as recessive on 'other' genes. i.e. both parents would have to have to carry the trait. This is why it a lot of time an effort goes into marrying up pedigree lines to try and not mate two lines with the same faults as it were..

Yes I think we can safely say blue to blue produces blue kittens It should do by the law of genetics as blue in cats is similar to liver in dogs in that it is recessive to black

liver/liver in dogs = liver pups

blue/blue in cats = blue kittens