Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
21-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #21

Re: Quick update about my beautiful big boy Ninja :D

He needs his annual checkup and shots... And he's already a bit overdue because we wanted to wait till his trust issues become better :S

I don't want to risk him becoming ill over them, KWIM?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #22

Hi Snoof - poor Ninja - I don't know what to suggest. Think I might leave his vet trip for a while, but others may disagree. Have you phoned the vet to ask? Mind you, I think the vet is likely to think of their bottom line and suggest that the cat should be seen

If he needs to go in the carrier, is there any way you could temporarily take off the door, pop the carrier over Ninja whilst he's in his safe place, leave it there for half an hour till he's not bothered and then gently tip it and put the door on ???? Might work. Remember he'd have to go back in the carrier at the vets though. Poor boy.

What about a herbal 'quietener'? Is it Valerian or Scullcap or a mixture thereof? Dorset Hebs or some such name do a lot of dog/cat herbal remedies. I'll go off and see if I can find a link for you

Here you go http://www.dorwest.com/ (and it looks like it is Scullcap and Valerian you need) Give them a ring/email?

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #23

Thanks DM, I'm a little bit worried about sedatives because I've been told they don't stop the cat from feeling fear, merely from acting on it. I think if that's true he'll get even more frightened and regress, trust-wise, even more than he would if he were given the chance to act on his fear.

Of course when he takes my arm off, I might not feel like this was such a bad idea

Edit: It looks like those calm nerves but don't affect his ability to do things, so I'm discussing getting a bottle of them with my other half.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #24

Have you tried some rescue remedy? That can help calm a cat down too. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
That's great news, he's a lucky boy to have such a patient and understanding owner.

Re: cat carriers - I thought cats weren't supposed to be able to stick their legs out at right angles

@ LMC!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #26

Snoof, if you do manage to get him in the carrier and to the vets, I don't think you need worry about how you are going to get him back in again to bring him home. I don't think there is a cat yet who hasn't dived willingly into it's carrier when the vet has finished That's the easy bit!!

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #27

I was just telling my friend, I've only ever had trouble a) getting cat into carrier at home, and b) getting cat out at the vet's. Never the other way round

Edit: And while I'm here - earlier Ninja took some treats off my hand and then licked my hand without paying attention to the leftover treats, and started cuddling it and then licking it some more and then cuddling it some more

Bless his little black socks

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #28

Ooooo....progress!!! Hope it continues Snoof!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #29

Dont ever give up Snoof!!! He loves you in his own way now and will love you more and more every day!

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #30

I know Donna I was thinking earlier about the way he will not tolerate strangers near him unless I'm also there (or my boyfriend is), and it hit me just what a huge, if quiet, display of trust that is...

I used to have friends who would complain because I don't want a dog, because "cats are so uncommunicative". Always looked at them like they'd just sprouted an extra pair of ears