Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #21

Re: Daily Hay

they'll be house bunnies most liekly me thinks!!!

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #22

just been to check on mommy and she building another nest bless her ehart. I am hoping it is jsut cos she thinks she should have one there, and not cos she carrying another litter. I have read they can get pregnant again with a second litter whilst pregnant with the first one.

Just to put minds at rest, No I am not going to breed bunies after this, I dont think I would find homes for them all, and yes the boy is living in his own hutch!!!!!!

Sure, i would love seeing baby bunnies more often, but as with cats there are plenty who are homeless!!

Global Moderator

04-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #23

CJ don't worry, you are doing your best for the little ones to give them a chance. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to raise baby buns....it was only by looking on the net that I found that article......
I really hope they pull through for you.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
04-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #24

CJ your doing the very best you can, without you they wouldnt stand a chance!! You must understand how hard it is too handrear kits from such a young age, your doing a cracking job too get them this far already, ive got everything crossed for their survival.
As for the feeding...i would say that only 2 times a day IMO for kits at this stage wouldn't be enough, the doe doesnt feed them every 2 hours or whatever of course, she feeds about 3 times a day (if i can remember rightly!) but of course she produces a heck of a lot more milk than what is given when handrearing.
Whenever i've handreared kits, as ive said in my pm's, until they are about 10 days old ive allways fed with intervals of between 2 hours and 2 and a half hours, then i sort of used too space it out a bit more too say about 4 times a day when the kits are between 8 and 10 days old and then down too a maximum of 3 times a day when they are about 2 weeks old...this should lead you through too the start of weaning at about 3 weeks old.
I know opinions vary on the feeding, times of feeding, amount of feeding and intervals spaced between feeding do so vary but i was allways taught the above way, and never fed between the hours of 12 am-6am, im not quite sure why, but was allways told that was a no-no, and i must admit when i bred rabbits and had too handrear, which was sometimes often but i was lucky i had other does that could foster the kits, i had quite a high survival rate usually...bar one time when i had a litter of 16, was left too rear 13 or so, and lost all bar one too bloat
Your doing the best you can CJ, and your doing a good job

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #25

thanks for the support. It fels like such a desperate situation really. I guess i feel a bit down about finding another dead baby,and worried about the two i have, and tired from lack of sleep.
Off to feed again anyway!

as said before, without Luke AND mags (who ahas given up her time searching the net for me) the babies wouldnt even have made it this far!!!

and this is a compelte abuse of this website, cos they arent cats, but can i get away with as their called kits? lol

Global Moderator

04-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #26

We're all behind you CJ and as you say, it must be a very tiring job looking after them.

As for posting about them on here, it is perfectly alright.....we chat about anything here and it is lovely hearing about the bunnies fight for survival!

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #27

Just Finished Another Feed< No Popping?bubbling Nosies!
Wops, Caps Lock! Sorry Guys My Pc Playing Up And Caps Lock Wont Come Off

It Great Noticing Little Differences Everyday. I Can Jsut See Tiny Tiny Fine Hairs Starting To Show On Thier Heads, And Thier Little Teeny Weeny Claws Are Growing.
Theyre All Settled Down Again, Sleeping.
Wish Iw As!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #28

CJK can I just say that you are doing a great job with the info you had at the time, but, and there is always a but, Please please dont handle them. ok you have to for there bodily functions but after that put them back and keep them warm. The bubbeling noises that they were makeing, well that's there tummy's telling you there full. There greedy little things and if you offered them food every 30 mins they would take it! If you here bubbeling noises then there tummy's are full and before long milk would come down there noses. They would drown in milk. Please read Mags link. I know your doing your best and I admire you for it. Were all here for you but take the info on board in the link.

Catsey Veteran

05-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #29

JAc, thanks for that info! I have read mags link, found it VERY usefull. Just couldnt find out what the bubbling nosies were so thank you!

theyre now four days old! cant believe it. I dont handle them at all jac other than to feed them, for starters they dont wnt it, they want to wriggle down into thier nest, and somebody else told me not to handle them either, though i dont know why, but I did what was said.

Theyre taking about 3 mls of milk a day now, going by that link it's about the right amount. All seems to be well.
My brothers gf's grandfather breeds hundersd of rabbits on a farm, and he said sling em back in with mom cos they wont live anyway.
I cant do that, I need to give them a chance, call me soft, but that's how I am.
If they do die at least i will know i did everything i can for them.
As i said they seem to be fine, wriggling about and all sorts. Got them in a whicker basket thing now, the sides are taller, so thought it be better.
theyre such little cuties. though hubby barely even looked at them, he jsut not intersted at all. He wouldnt harm them, but he wont touch them either, fair enough i guess!

had thier feed this morning, and like i said are wriggling about. they know now that when i pick them up they get fed, and they make funny little squeeking noises and start opening thier mouthgs right away looking for food, it's sweet bless them.

cant post piccies at moment, elliot shoved the memory card from the camera into the wrong slot in pc, so it's sitting inside the multi reader drive until we can get it out

thanks again for all the advice, do really appreciate it. Just aiming for that week milestone, after which I hope I'll not worry quiet somuch about them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
05-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #30

So glad things are working out. NO dont Sling them back in with Mum, she wouldnt accept them now.
Just a question, did you stil have dad in with mum when she had them? If yes she could be expecting again!
Sounds to me like theyre going to be fine. Do you know you can litter train rabbits? Just a thought if your going to keep them in the house.
Will chat latter. My funy pills are kicking in