Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #21

Re: Smudgley - update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Poor Harry, I hope he will learn to relax and trust people again.....
Pity we all didn't live near you Smudgley, we could take it in turns and try to give him the fusses he deserves.....
With gloves on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I'd have him Fran but I am a sucker for a hard luck story
same hre kazz, thats how we ended up with 5 extra bunnies and twix and oatemal ( with oatemals brother and twix's sister at the time too).

I'd take any cat in that i could help.
think we got plenty of bunnies though lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #23

I'm not suprised Poppy is already sorted.
(I would have had her if I'd thought she'd settle....and if she was closer)

Poor Harry!
Do you have people who will foster cats in their homes? That might bring him out of himself?

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I wish I could give a rescue cat a home but I have tried and tried and I have too many things against me:

A) I have a child under 5 (he's 3)
B) I'm only a student (they prefer you to be working)
C) I have 3 dogs....

It's unfortunate because I do have a loving home right here honist (ask tabs, lol she's 14 this year and she's not complaining!)
well I would rehome to you.
A) - We will rehome with young children in the family as long as they have been used to animals.
B) Can't see what difference that makes
C) Again - not a problem. 1, 2, 3 or 10 dogs as long as they get on with cats - no probs

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I'm not suprised Poppy is already sorted.
(I would have had her if I'd thought she'd settle....and if she was closer)

Poor Harry!
Do you have people who will foster cats in their homes? That might bring him out of himself?
Yes - we have in house fosterers, I have mentioned moving him. We may have to do that I think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #26

smudgley is that a policy the cpl there has then? Cos iw as told that they WONT rehome with anyone who has kids under five. If that isnt the case then I would much prefer torescue a cat in the future than buy one

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
smudgley is that a policy the cpl there has then? Cos iw as told that they WONT rehome with anyone who has kids under five. If that isnt the case then I would much prefer torescue a cat in the future than buy one
As far as I'm aware - each branch works differently & it is up to the branch involved who / where they would rehome to & as far as I know there are no hard / fast rules. (could be wrong though )

At our branch we are all fosterers & not a shelter - so it is basically up to us to decide who can offer an appropiate home & each individual case is different.

One rule we do have is - we don't rehome to people on main roads - unless they will keep the cat as an indoor cat.

Another rule is that we "generally" (there are exceptions) rehome within the borough / boundaries of our branch.

As for dogs / well I have worked with dogs all my life, I know that it can work with dogs & cats. I know a lady who has 12 cats & 3 dogs & they are all happy.

With children, that is a difficult one because I know some children find it hard to undestand how to act around animals, but again some children are very good & if they have been brought up respecting animals then there shouldn't be a problem.

The most important thing here is the history of the cat, if an older cat comes in who has lived with an old lady all it's life, then it would be unfair to place that cat in a busy household. However if a cat has come from a house with 5 children & lots of people coming & going & general chaos, then they would better cope with a busy environment.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
well I would rehome to you.
A) - We will rehome with young children in the family as long as they have been used to animals.
B) Can't see what difference that makes
C) Again - not a problem. 1, 2, 3 or 10 dogs as long as they get on with cats - no probs
REALLY?

I've been to the RSPCA, 2 little local shelters and CPL, all said same things to me so I gave up!

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
As far as I'm aware - each branch works differently & it is up to the branch involved who / where they would rehome to & as far as I know there are no hard / fast rules. (could be wrong though )

At our branch we are all fosterers & not a shelter - so it is basically up to us to decide who can offer an appropiate home & each individual case is different.

One rule we do have is - we don't rehome to people on main roads - unless they will keep the cat as an indoor cat.

Another rule is that we "generally" (there are exceptions) rehome within the borough / boundaries of our branch.

As for dogs / well I have worked with dogs all my life, I know that it can work with dogs & cats. I know a lady who has 12 cats & 3 dogs & they are all happy.

With children, that is a difficult one because I know some children find it hard to undestand how to act around animals, but again some children are very good & if they have been brought up respecting animals then there shouldn't be a problem.

The most important thing here is the history of the cat, if an older cat comes in who has lived with an old lady all it's life, then it would be unfair to place that cat in a busy household. However if a cat has come from a house with 5 children & lots of people coming & going & general chaos, then they would better cope with a busy environment.
That's exactly what I thought, I rang the CPL and although the cats live in foster homes, from what I could gather, the shelter carried out the homechecks and all the paperwork etc, and the foster carerers were not involved in deciding where the cats were rehomed too? I aggree totally with the aspect on children, I think homes should be assesed by watching how the child interacts with the other animals in the house, I had my cat before I had my son so he has grew up with her and obviously would be better behaved and respectful to animals than a child who has never had pets....

I did ask if they could asess on the home visit how he was with my cat and dogs, but they said they dont re-home to ppl with children under 5, it didnt matter how he behaved, that was the rules! (I was quite bluntly told too!)

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #30

It breaks my heart because I know how many cats are put down because they shelters are bursting full and I have offered a perfectly good home but been turned down everywhere I look