Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #21

Re: Girls went in for Op today

Hope they aren't too distressed by the lampshades!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
20-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #22

They didnt fit the lampshades, I'm trying to put them on now. Its like a krypton factor task. Do they need to have collars to stop them pulling off the lampshades?

Wish the vet had put them on for me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #23

Do they really need them? Are they worrying at the stitches?
If you do persevere I can recommend some good, very thick, gardening gloves......

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
20-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #24

Their having the odd lick around the scar, maybe I'm just over cautious. We have had the lampshades on both of them, they just run away with it on and then pull it off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #25

They shouldn't be loose enough to pull off Matt. I'll just find a photo of Merlin with one on to post.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #26

The loops on the collar were threaded with gauze and tied - do you have anything to do that with? The vet put adhesive plaster over the edge next to Merlin's neck to stop it rubbing. He had to wear it for 10 days. Unless you intend to remove the collars when the girls eat, you will have to wash around inside the collar to keep it clean. Sorry if this is unnecessary information.

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
20-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

The loops on the collar were threaded with gauze and tied - do you have anything to do that with? The vet put adhesive plaster over the edge next to Merlin's neck to stop it rubbing. He had to wear it for 10 days. Unless you intend to remove the collars when the girls eat, you will have to wash around inside the collar to keep it clean. Sorry if this is unnecessary information.
Thanks Angieh , thats all good info. Might have to see what I can find round the house to use as gauze.

Might just have to wake up every couple of hours throughout the night to make sure they haven't opened them selfs up.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #28

You may find this link helpful Matt.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #29

Misty never got a lampshade when she was spayed; neither did Leia. Two different vets. Neither ever worried at their stitches. Dandy got one when he had a neck irritation but had it off within half an hour of getting back from the vet! My one and only experience with a lampshade.

Good luck!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
21-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #30

Glad to hear the girls' ops went well! Good luck with the lampshades, hope you manage to sort them out! Never did the lampshade thing with Miw, used an old lycra t-shirt to make her a halter dress that covered her tummy and looped over her back legs so she couldn't get it off. Actually worked really well and was designed so she could still do her "litter box business" without hindrance.......but looked about as hilarious as the lampshades LOL!

The girls may not pay too much attention to the stitches beyond licking anyway. Miw didn't seem bothered with hers until just before they were due to come out (that's when they started to itch I think) and Mousie paid no attention to hers at all when she had her biopsies.