Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
11-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #21

Re: Max

Hi both,
Angieh, any ideas as to how to elevate his bowls? I have tried putting it on the floor, on the chair, on the settee, on the foot stool, its the same story but if you have any fresh ideas I am more than ready to try them!! I am beginning to think he likes being waited on lol.

Kado, we have all sorts of feeding bowls, plates, dishes, I have tried altering them, even taken one of my dinner plates in case the bigger the better for him to get at the food but he still only grazes for a short time. Yes, he has run in to the kitchen, meowing today a couple of times when he saw me preparing it but after a few mouthfuls he loses interest. Until you prompt him with a fork full or put it away for ten minuites and try again. Its very frustrating!

On the phos binder front I have just been online and ordered two large tubs - at least I wont have to feel so guilty if he does carry on eating the forbidden food.

Thanking you all again, Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #22

I've just looked at elevated pet bowls on Google but was surprised to find out how expensive they are! I would use an old phone directory and perhaps wrap it in cling film first so it's wipeable. You could adjust the height by using one or more directories. Ask friends and family to keep their old ones!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #23

Hi, just caught up with this again.
Spice is the same, she will lap her food a little and then stop, I then hold it under her mouth and she takes some more, she then moves away, I give her a minute and hold it under her again and she eat again. This goes on for a good couple of times, I do think it is linked to her arthritis and her head tilt, but she also enjoys the attention, because when it looks like she has finished and I give her a cuddle, she goes down and has some more.
I have started feeding her at 8, 12, 3 5 and 11ish, that way it gets a good bit down her, although it is very time consuming, but I don't mind as long as she is consuming her food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #24

Jan, sorry to hear about Max's problems, i don't know what sort of dishes he eats out of but i used an upturned cardboard box with a hole cut out to sit the food dish in when my elderly dog needed it.
If the dishes wont sit in an upturned box then i think angies idea of a phone directory is great.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
18-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #25

Hya all,
as promised an update on Max. I elevated his bowls with old catalogues, phone directories etc, then found an old largish biscuit tin and thats been really good as it s totally wipeable! Max has his off days but unless there s anything sinister going on he actually looks to be putting weight on around his tummy. He is probably eating more food as I am offering it much as you are Farthing, little and often. He s actually been meowing for his food again. Lovely sound!

I have the Ipakitine and have just re read how you give it Farthing and that sounds right as it says a scoop per 5kg weight and Max is very light. I know heavy weight Felix is over five and a half kg and he weighs a ton to my others! Is there any harm in adding it to Tess s food as she is just turned 16. She s lost interest in the senior food now too.(but thankfully she is a bit on the chubby side so not quite so much panic there). Id anyone can advise re adding it to Tess s food I would be grateful.

Once again, thanks for the advice, support and good wishes..

Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #26

Hi Jan - I'm so glad that Max is eating better now. Good boy! I'm afraid I can't advise about the Ipakitine as I haven't had to use it. Bet Farthing can help you there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #27

Hi Jan, pleased to hear that Max is getting on well. I wouldnt give the ipakitine to your other cat if it can be avoided as it is calcium based and too much calcium can cause alot of problems. Best to have your other kitty checked by the vet before giving it any phos binder.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....itine_cautions

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #28

Hi Jan, thanks for the update, i'm pleased Max is eating better and putting on a bit of weight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #29

Glad to hear he's doing better, Jan. They do worry us so...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #30

Glad to hear Max is doing well.
I would probably get Tess blood tested first to see if you need to put her on the power- it is probably a good idea to get her tested anyway- thyroid and general organ function. I wouldn't put her on the powder unless her renal functon is compromised.