Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #31

Re: Guess what's in my cat pen....

My vet nurse told me to feed her small bits of cat food, she raised a sparrow, that didn't even have its eyes open on catfood!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Blackbirds spend a few days hiding in the undergrowth when they first fledge, takes them a few days to get the hang of flying, I would leave it in the pen till the morning, the one I had was in my front porch for 2 days..I went into feed it and it was sitting on top of my Yucca!! So opened the front door and she flew out..Once it can fly it will be safe and will probably join its siblings...
That's reassuring Moli. Makes sense too, maybe Smudge flushed it out of the hedge. Usually any bird she sets eyes on, she catches & kills. So I think she may have been watching him & then frightened him. She did bat him a couple of times with her paw. (poor little poppet) I'll see what he's like tomorrow.

Last year she found a nest above the garage roof & when the door was open one day she climbed onto it & took all the babes out & they were scattered all over the floor (tiny babies) their parents were screaming & squealing & we quickly scooped all the babies up & gently popped them back in the nest & closed the garage door. they were all ok & survived the ordeal. If we hadn't been around they wouldn't have been so lucky. NAUGHTY SMUDGE!

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
My vet nurse told me to feed her small bits of cat food, she raised a sparrow, that didn't even have its eyes open on catfood!
I think I've got a bit of that somewhere...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-05-2006, 11:24 PM   #34

Well I wish you luck we raised a baby blackbird same reason I think he must have been hiding and Cleo found him brought him home raised him let him go and within 5 minutes of release Oscar had caught him and he was dead the bird not the cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #35

Let us know how the poor wee thing does!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #36

Hows the baby this morning Smudgley??

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #37

Seems ok.
Shall I let him go?
John goes to work early & he didn't say anything about what to do with him today

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
17-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #38

If he seems ok, and you can give him a cat-free time and space to practice take-offs? Isn't going to hurt him to spend the day in the pen, either (unless you get the cat for that pen in today, of course...) with food and safe air-space provided.

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #39

Guess what?
When I went back down the pen - his mommy was there shouting through the wire & she had a load of food for him. How sweet is that? I (well not me really - got the builder to) put him on the pen roof near the trees & his mom was right nearby to look out for him.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #40

Awww how sweet Smudgley! Sounds like there is going to be a happy ending to this.......well done you for giving him safe board and lodgings overnight!!