Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #31

Re: Indoor only cats...

Thanks all!

Charlie off to look at that link in a minute, thank you

Dawn, the problem with catproofing the garden is Sylvester and Matilda, they don't get on with the others and would go bananas if I took away their freedom so that they couldn't get away from the others. All the others would be ok but for that reason only I don't think it would work for me. I would be grateful if you could find that link for the screens though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #32

Well this is the system i was talking about.
http://www.katzecure.com/index.php
I think it looks good and would work well, might consider it myself.

Could you not put an electronic catflap in the fence and issue only Matilda and Sylvester with the collars to use it? Just thinking out loud.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

22-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #33

Thanks for that Dawn, I saw this at a show recently and spoke with the rep about it!! If I were to catproof the garden, I think this is what I would go for. Although it wouldn't be straight forward in our garden as we have quite a few trees around the perimeter that they could absail up and then jump over the fencing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
24-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #34

Fran, was just wondering if you did ever install window-screens??

I'm thinking of getting a couple for the upstairs windows of my new house, as they windows open outwards from the bottom.........................just in case we ever have a summer, or any weather that warrants having the windows open!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
12-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #35

thanks guys just what i was looking for
(sorry i know this is over a year old)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: British Shorthair
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #36

I know what you mean, it isn't easy. A lot of the modern UPVC windows have a setting which only opens a fraction so a cat can't push it any further but not a big enough gap to squeeze through. I have wooden slated/venetian blinds in the living room so as long as you keep them down but tilted open, you can open the windows as wide as a like without the cats getting out. They work a treat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
12-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lian
I know what you mean, it isn't easy. A lot of the modern UPVC windows have a setting which only opens a fraction so a cat can't push it any further but not a big enough gap to squeeze through. I have wooden slated/venetian blinds in the living room so as long as you keep them down but tilted open, you can open the windows as wide as a like without the cats getting out. They work a treat.
I have that setting on my windows - but it's also not really enough of a gap to get any air in!!!!

I have resorted to getting a fan. The downstairs of my house stays quite cool - but the upstairs is so warm. I know we shouldn't moan when it's warm - but it's not nice. So, I've got a couple of fans for the upstairs to keep me and the cats cool.

I'm still considering window screens though - when I have some spare money!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
12-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #38

thats the problem here as well Charliebubs the windows will lock open but its not enough for any fresh air in, so in the sitting room we now have the fan up and running most of the day and when Bailey leaves the room the windows get opened wide.
i will be getting some sort of screen as i can not sit with the windows shut for long but its finding the money now

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #39

I have long hooks and eyes on my windows. I can open the windows for as far as will allow without the cats getting our using very long hooks and eyes on either side of the windows. Have to say this has worked really well and is a very cheap option

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #40

In my new place they are double glazed units but in wood, not plastic, I prefer them but they do not open very far apart from the wee top ones but I intend on cat proofing the garden anyway.