Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
12-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #31

Re: indoor or outdoor cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
oh, im sorry, I didnt mean to drag up bad memories like that.
It's never gone away......I'm still not over it, probably never will be but slowly coping with it, I'll get there in the end

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
12-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #32

so sorry to hear of your bad news DiddyDawn the same happend to my sisters dog and she was in there own garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK

i cant understand why aybody would poison someones pets, it's horrid
thats the thing see Cj not every 1 is a cat person and you might not think that your cat (im not saying you just any1) goes in any1 else garden but i bet they do and cat can make a lot of mess on a nice garden and the smell they can leave behind if a tom is bad and if its not there pet they should not have to put up with it.

doing what they did is wrong. but in the long run with cats what can you do?

Im not saying i agree with what was done but i can see maybe why it was done

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
12-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #33

No cats can get in my neighbours garden......he has mesh going round. Mine all used to be in the woods or the garden but I'd had a run in with the neighbour a couple of years back when he killed some baby blue tits that were nesting in the wall......I had the police out to him. The only way he could get back at me was through my cats

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #34

It would be alright if every cat was like Cassie....she will only go in our garden....it means we have to do regular daily clean up jobs behind her but at least we know the neighbours are happy!!

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyDawn
No cats can get in my neighbours garden......he has mesh going round. Mine all used to be in the woods or the garden but I'd had a run in with the neighbour a couple of years back when he killed some baby blue tits that were nesting in the wall......I had the police out to him. The only way he could get back at me was through my cats
HI DD
i was not saying that your cats did go in his garden he sounds like a man that has no feelings at all not a nice man from the sound of it i was just saying if a cat goes out and the owner didn't know where they dont know what problems they are coasing other ppl

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
13-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #36

I have lost one or two cats over many years but would still let mine out. Rosie has a cat flap and hops in and out all day and all night (summer nights mostly). Cats are such independent creatures I would hate to confine them to the house. Rosie loves to hunt and often brings home a contribution to tea of the mousy variety Only ever had moggies though.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
13-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #37

My boys are both indoors only basically for all the reasons Kay mentioned.

We live on a main road and also near two secondary schools and a primary school. I would be terrified constantly that Tom or Murphy might be killed (or worse, hit and left in agony until found ), attacked or terrorised by children or get lost.

Both boys are very dopey and also very people friendly (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned but not necessarily with strangers). Murphy will just fall over if he sees someone as he is so excited to have someone new to rub his tummy! (He's also fallen down the stairs many times doing this so I wouldn't fancy his chances near a car!)

Also, cats can be a nuisance to other people. If they are outside all day they will need to go to the toilet somewhere and they won't necessarily come home to do it. Some people like to watch birds in their garden and I would be distraught if they threw water over my cats to get them out their garden - or if indeed my cats killed a bird that they liked to watch or feed.

Although castrated, I can't guarantee that my boys wouldn't try to chase and kill small animals, get into fights (whether they started it or not), annoy queens in season or start spraying if they felt the need to.

Essentially, I wouldn't have chosen to have had cats where we are living at the moment. We were due to move house 8 weeks after we got the boys but it all fell through at the last minute. However, my feelings wouldn't change if we lived somewhere else, I just feel it is too risky and I love the boys so much.

Thomas and Murphy have never been allowed out. The only times they have been out of the house (in a carrier) is to the vets which may be why they have some anxieties about the outside world? They have lots of stimulation in the house, as well as access to all areas, and also have clicker training sessions to keep their minds active. They have harnesses which they are comfortable wearing but prefer to watch outside through a window then to go out (on a harness) - they point blank refuse to go out in fact!

When we eventually move, I would like to build them a cat run outside (with a cat flap so they still have continual access to inside - I don't want them to feel 'shut out') but I do wonder how much they would use it.

I don't feel my boys are missing out on anything though, primarily because they don't know any different. I might have to reconsider this decision if I took on a cat that was used to being allowed outside whenever they wanted. I also don't have a problem with other people letting their cats out (although I might have a problem if a cat kept using my garden as a toilet - especially when we have children) it's just the way I feel about my cats.

(Sorry for the essay!)

Catsey Veteran

13-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #38

i do agree with a lot you have said Julie and you say it so much better then i did lol

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
13-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #39

As most of our cats arrived on the doorstep they have all been outside cats, and three of the strays were actually run over, two when we lived near a town and one in the countryside. Present cat -India- is still a housecat, she's been with us for 8 weeks now and has shown little inclination to go out, I have taken her into the garden twice on a harness but she was most apprehensive and it made me wonder if she had been a indoor cat in her former home. She panicked when she saw next door neighbours horse about 20meters away and raced upstairs at the weekend when a visitor started up his car just outside the front door. We do live in the country, the lane is not very busy, it's narrow which means that traffic goes slowly in case something is coming the other way, and both our neighbours have cats so if she does want to go out I'll let her, and worry until she gets used to it!!! Logoes

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
14-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
i do agree with a lot you have said Julie and you say it so much better then i did lol
Thank you!

Shame I was meant to be doing important things at work at the time though!!