Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #31

Re: Missing Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Please keep personal comments off the forum..
Ok, respect.
I probably shouldn't have used the word snivelling...
She got personal with me today...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
This is a bad example...

As they are cat people, why don't you ask them if they would have a tiger as a pet? Apart from a bigger litter tray surely if a wolf is no different to a dog a tiger is no different to a cat?

There is not a HUGE physical difference in a wolf and huskie...
But a huge difference in a wee lovely moggie and a tiger Poor arguement SORRY!!!!!

And you only posted link, cos I caught ya first lol....
Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
10-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.
Now see Kel this is what I posted. Did I ever say that every tom dick or harry should go and get a Wolf instead of a dog? I said with the correct environment/handling they would make good pets/companions. Perhaps the correct enviromnent/handling might be very few and far between as all wild animals who are pets need the right owner, who understands them and their needs.

I could list a lot of people who have kept wild animals in the past as pets (Tigers, Lions, Lynx, Wolves etc etc) and they would agree that the animals make good companions perhaps even more rewarding than dogs/cats/rabbits.

Banned

10-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #34

Not once did I say that EVERYBODY should consider a wolf as a pet either. I am baffled???
I am sure I said the town/city would not be suitable.....
I am also of the thinking that wild animals should in general not be kept as pets. But sometimes the need arises! ie.rescue cases that cannot for whatever reason be returned to wild....
And when it does people should live and let live.
Please... my spelling is great. One mistake lol
Guess I am not a perfect as you thought I was!

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) Bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!

Well actually Serval (reportedly) make excellent pets - they have been Pets as far back as Egyptian times - or were you referring to the Bengal cat as being more difficult to have as a pet??

from Wapedia - the Serval

As with the Cheetah, most Servals are friendly, good-natured, easily tamed, and make loving pets.
Servals have historically been kept as pets in Africa. The Ancient Egyptians worshipped the Serval as gods, and kept them as pets. More recently, they have been kept as pets in North America and Europe. Servals develop an intense emotional bond to their original owners. Often, they will choose one member of the human family they live with to form an especially close and intense bond. However, once they have bonded with a particular human family, Servals do not easily accept new owners or surroundings, and they may become quite unhappy if separated or placed with other families. For this reason, anyone taking in a Serval must be willing to house and keep the Serval for its entire life. In the United States, owning a Serval requires special licensing from local, State, and Federal agencies. Having a Serval as a member of the family requires both commitment and planning. For those who do proceed down this path, the Serval makes an excellent, loving, and stunning pet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Now see Kel this is what I posted. Did I ever say that every tom dick or harry should go and get a Wolf instead of a dog? I said with the correct environment/handling they would make good pets/companions. Perhaps the correct enviromnent/handling might be very few and far between as all wild animals who are pets need the right owner, who understands them and their needs.

I could list a lot of people who have kept wild animals in the past as pets (Tigers, Lions, Lynx, Wolves etc etc) and they would agree that the animals make good companions perhaps even more rewarding than dogs/cats/rabbits.
I agree Emma, maybe for the owner it is but there is always a risk involved in owning a wild animal and the subject for this thread is one of those risks, as are animals turning on their owners, other people, other animals e.t.c. And secondly, JMO but I don't think that a domesticated life is fair on a wild animal, might be rewarding for the person but a wild animal belongs in the wild.

As I said before. JMO. I'm just surprised and disappointed that some people think it's ok to keep wild animals as pets, unless for some reason they cannot be released into the wild, in which case they should live as wild a life as possible. I don't agree with animals in zoos either except for preservation when they are threatened by extinction but even then, a zoo is different from keeping a wolf as a pet in your house, which people do.

No it's not Gospel it's JMO as I have said over and over. I don't mind a debate but I am not a nasty person and when people start getting nasty that is the end for me so i'll bow out now as the only reason I have posted what I have was to try and help people realise the difference as it is people who don't realise who do things like this (the subject in the OP) because people can't leave wild animals where they belong - in the wild. Clearly there are people who think its ok to have wild animals as pets (if they would personally have one or not, not saying you would personally that's up to you) and those who can't even see a difference between a wild and domestic animal, and as I said, that is up to the individual, not me. So if this is what I get for trying to help you understand the difference between a wolf and a domestic dog, i'm out as I posted to help and i'm really not here to fight. I think most members here know that of me.

Banned

10-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!
I think I would rather come face to face with a wolf rather than a tiger, if I found myself in the wild with them....
A lone wolf 'generally' doesn't attack unless cornered (shy creatures) but it would if it had its pack (even then its not common).... But then again, they are far more scared of us humans and quite rightly so!

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #38

I said they might make good pets for the right owner I did not say that I thought that Wild animals should be kept out of their natural environment, but Kel ALL domesticated animals were once breed from Wild animals - the chain started somewhere didn't it?

I would rather see all animals in a natural environment but that is not the world we live in, us humans (and that is all of us) have destroyed the natural habitat for a lot of wild animals. We live in houses where there was once fields/woods/forests, we drive on roads that where once fields/woods/forests etc. Their environment is diminishing because of our actions, I do not think badly of somebody who would give a good home to any animal.

Banned

10-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #39

I have not got nasty Random...
Facts wrong again!
You were very personal to me earlier on in the day, but I choose to ignore it. I am a grown up and don't need to run to other people...
You don't even realise that I am agreeing with you on some things, but you choose to argue... As I said it is LEGAL to keep wolves with special licence and special training/owners. You didn't even ask how my sisters friend got his wolves (rescue/not bred) and licence. You just wanted an arguement

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
WRONG!!!!!! My sister has two 'SIBERIAN HUSKIES' that she has shown at crufts and are well trained. Her male friend has wolves, and when they are out walking them together, to a lay person like me (not a dog person) theY are very hard to tell apart!!!!
And FYI, Huskies no matter how well trained retain that call of the wild that wolves have, and THEY will run for freedom every now and again, and also remain unpredictable...
In fact Huskies will never be a fully domesticated animal
The public are at no more danger from a domesticated wolf than they are a huskie dog lol...
I will call me sister for more info, and post later
Again, like the RSPCA thread, misinformation is a dangerous thing RANDOM....
Oh my word what planet do you live on?

If you think a Wolf looks like a Husky, then a trip to specsavers in in line and if you think they look like them god help you if you think they act like them!

Thank god Random is here, she is about the only one with enough sense and EXPERIENCE of said threads to cast a genuine eye over this, for petes sake Catwoman, you really have no idea do you?