Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #31

Re: look who's pregnant..

I see.
Well that's more than enough genetics chat for one evening & now we're talking other genes too (not just colour) ... time for bed me thinks.

thanks again.
I'll PM you tomorrow if I get chance about an interesting mismarked dog. be interested to see what your thoughts are about it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #32

Nite Smudgley. Will look forward to hearing about the dog. I find it all very fascinating

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
23-05-2006, 01:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I find colour gentics fascinating. Labs must be one of the easiest as there are only three colours. Something like Staffords and I am way out of my depth and cats - well I can't get my head around their colour genetics at all
staffords are easy as soon as u get your head around all staffords are reds lol even when u add white its easy next to labs/cats i think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
23-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #34

Congratulations x x x

Genetics is way above my head LOL x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #35

Congratulations Smudgley!!!! And I dont get genetics either!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
23-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #36

Congratulations Smudgely!!!

Yep no idea on genetics either altho I love reading other peoples posts on the subject.

Quite right Nat only one colour in staffords and that's red

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
23-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #37

Congratulations Smudgely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
liver/liver in dogs = liver pups

blue/blue in cats = blue kittens
Just out of interest, would you choose to mate these pairings or would it be more preferably to mate, say a blue cat to a blue carrier (hypothetically of course)?

I know in rats, you would be wary of breeding a blue to a blue because by breeding recessives you often lose quality in the type (smaller eyes, light bone structure etc and also there used to be trouble with blues having blood clotting issues which were not ideal for birthing situations). However rats seem so much easier as there are no breeds as such.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #38

I don't know a deal about breeding cats but in labradors liver/liver matings are quite common. There is a chance that coat colour can be affected but if you choose your lines carefully and don't breed too many generations of liver/liver without going back to black then most of the time it works ok. You wouldn't risk losing 'type' as long as you carefully select your lines..

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi
Congratulations Smudgely!!!

Yep no idea on genetics either altho I love reading other peoples posts on the subject.

Quite right Nat only one colour in staffords and that's red
there is Nae only reds even Kazz's 2 girls are red but there brindle markings are so close together they look black if they had no brindle at all they would be red

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie84
Congratulations Smudgely!

Just out of interest, would you choose to mate these pairings or would it be more preferably to mate, say a blue cat to a blue carrier (hypothetically of course)?

I know in rats, you would be wary of breeding a blue to a blue because by breeding recessives you often lose quality in the type (smaller eyes, light bone structure etc and also there used to be trouble with blues having blood clotting issues which were not ideal for birthing situations). However rats seem so much easier as there are no breeds as such.
Mixes mother was a black carring blue and if i breed her she will go to a blue but if i keep a blue girl off her then she will not go to a blue or any other recessive colour