Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #31

Re: Time for a change

Carly - I have gel nails done (biosculpture). They're not false nails but kind of like a nail varnish (clear, french or coloured) that goes over your own. You can have them as long or short as you like, and because they are protein-based they actually nourish your nails rather than wreck them (like sticking on the 'tips' tends to do). They don't feel or look 'false' either . . . and they don't flick off as it's just your nail with a coating on!!

They cost about £30 and you need to get them in-filled every 3 or 4 weeks. It's my little monthly treat to myself and when one broke off last week (well, I smashed it into a wall when lungeing for a cat), I felt so un-groomed with just a 'bare' nail .

If you feel like treating yourself and shelling out, then give them a go I'd thoroughly recommend them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #32

I just figured if they were my own real nails that as they wouldnt get long over night I would be used to them as they grew and not find it so hard to do everything with false ones on.

We ahve a nail bar in town, i may go in and ask about the gel ones.

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #33

Mine grow about 2mm in 3 weeks . . . that's quite a speed. Coz they have protein in the gel it promotes growth.

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #34

Gel nails below. I have a very subtle 'french' which is kind of semi-opaque very pale pink over an off-white tip. You can see the re-growth at the base of the nail on the ring finger . . . that's about 2 1/2 weeks worth of growing!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #35

You have lovely hands Yola!

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #36

oh now i like those!!!!!

so what do you do with those? when your natural nail gets to a length you like you leave them off. or do you keep getting them done???

(can you tell i know nothing about beuty stuff lol)

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #37

CJ - I keep them on. Every 3 weeks (or 4 if your nails don't grow as quickly as mine), I go in, they file the thickness down a bit to even it out and re-coat them. It's at that point you can change the colour if you wish. You can also paint over it with regular nail varnish in between visits if you fancy a change and it doesn't affect the gel.

Every so often, they will do a 'soak off'. This is when the remove the coating completely due to it having become thick or if you want to go from a dark to a light colour, and re-apply.

I tried taking them off, but my nails are not strong enough to ever grow to that length . . . despite trying every nail strengthener on the market I didn't know about gel nails at all; found out on the off chance when I went in for a pedicure just before having Dominik!!!

Kim - thanks!!! I've always had long fingers . . . my Mum puts it down to me playing the piano from a young age but I think it's just genetic

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #38

I think i'll take a look around for the gel nails. I like the idea of them, and i can have them kinda short, but just a nice length to look good. Mine are so delicate the snap at the tiniest touch.
Glad you told me about them, thanks Yola, think i'll give them a try

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #39

Missed the whole thread - Carly getting nails, Carly got nails and now Carly back to no nails again!!!

I have had the acrylic nails and I did like them, but had a very nasty accident once where I ripped my nail and it was nearly at the base of my nail so was really painful - put me off for ages....

But now I cannot really justify the cost of a nail shop... could try the Boots ones ...

What exactly did you buy CJ?

Catsey Veteran

06-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #40

theyre made my nailene, called salon airbrush, long wearing glue on nails. 20 chip proof nails. They ahd a french manicure tip, and just on the edge of the tip was a small white flower with tiny pink centre, and row of little dots going off to one side.

basically just your average DIY glue ons.

Made my nails underneath sore, annoyed me to bits, and made it impossible to do anything!