Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
30-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #51

Re: MY poorly Baby (Maxi)

What are you meant to do if your cat get stung by a bee or a wasp? Should you take the cat to the vet? I suppose it depends where they get stung?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
30-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattde
What are you meant to do if your cat get stung by a bee or a wasp? Should you take the cat to the vet? I suppose it depends where they get stung?
Maisy was the first to get stung by Mr Bumble bee, I checked her paw but couldn`t see any remains of a stinger, but within about 10 mins her paw had swollen double in size, so I took her to the vets and they gave her an injection to take down the swelling, I asked if she or Maxi get stung again do they really need to be fetched to the vets, he said not unless they have been stung on their face or in their mouth as any swelling there can effect their airways.

So since then I have just checked their paws for any stingers and they have just licked it themselves and have been fine and gone of playing, Maxi though is a big softie and likes to get BIG cuddles

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #53

I had it happen twice, to two different cats, on the mouth. Called the vet the first time, he asked me how long ago it had happened and if there were any signs of going into anaphylactic shock; said not to worry, And they were both fine, although looked dreadful with swollen mouths and didn't eat well at dinner; both back to normal the next day. And smart enough not to do it again...if it buzzes, let it be!

I've read since that if it was a bee, try to remove the stinger (although I have no idea how to go about that!); if a wasp, just let it be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
30-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #54

My vet has given same advice but also said I could give some piriton to ease the swelling.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #55

After Maxi got stung today I went on the internet because I had been told that Bumble bees do not actualy leave their stingers in and it is true they don`t they can actualy sting you over and over again and not die, it is also only the queens and female drones that sting as the males do not have stingers, it was quite interesting.
But Honey bees do leave in their stingers and die.

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #56

Hi everybody have just got back from the vets again with Maxi, I was in bits last night and this morning sobbing away but feel abit calmer now .
It all started yesterday again with him, he was fine first thing in the morning had all his breakfast then went and had a snooze for abit longer than what he usually would then when he came down at about 10.30am he was sick on the kitchen floor but then he seemed fine and his poop had been fine in the morning so thought maybe he had just had to much to eat.
At dinner he didn`t eat alot just had a nibble so thought will keep my eye on him, well any way next it was trips to the litter tray and poops getting really sloppy , then next he was sick again and it was a big furball, I phoned the vets and they said just to keep an eye on him as he would prob be alright now he had fetched that up and if not to take him in today.
Any way all last night it was terrible it was just pumping through him and he was just looking so sad and depressed it just broke my heart to see him being so unhappy and miserable , his eyes just kept looking at me as if to say PLEASE mummy make it go away.
So off we wnet to the vets this morning me in floods of tears, I must have looked like a mad woman, any way the vet said he thinks that it has all flared up again because of the furball as with him having a sensitive tummy the acid and gases that build up around the hairball would cause him problems , so he has started him of on a 2 week course of antibiotics to hopefully sort it out, so fingers crossed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #57

Poor Maxi and poor you
I do hope it all settles down again now

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
04-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #58

Hopefully this will settle him down Pauline...and it's just the furball end everything that goes with that...it's so hard not to worry...am thinking of you and Maxi... and Maisy too

Jo, George and Harri xox

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #59

Leesy - I really feel for you about this. It sounds so distressing for both of you. I do hope that now he has got rid of the furball he perks up again soon.

Big hugs for you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #60

I am so sorry to hear about Maxi, Leesy. ((((HUGS)))) to you. I do hope he perks up soon. I wonder whether he'd keep slippery elm down OK. It is safe for use in cats and can be wonderfully soothing internally.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...em=slipperyelm

(I am a fan after Elaine recommended it to me and I used it with Merlin.)