Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
31-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #61

Re: Emma's proposed new garden

Eileen, as you know my Dad is very handy making things. Next time I see him I am going to ask him if he would make one for me

I will make sure it has electric and will definately take the laptop down there together with a bottle (or two) of red wine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #62

If I weren't on the other side of the Pond, I'd love to join you, if I could being a bottle of pinot grigio too!! (Am having a glass now!)

Catsey Veteran

31-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #63

hmmmm pinot girgio one of my favourite white wines always a good choice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #64

Your garden plans are amazing Emma!! I cannot give you any advice. Think you have the expert Kazz on the case anyway!!!

Will keep looking to see how the plans are going.

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #65

Kazz, I have had some more thoughts about the garden, I think it would be a good idea to move the veg plots and incorporate them into the left hand border (as you are looking down the garden) I would still have them as raised beds, thought it might make the garden look a bit tidy, hopefully the borders I am going to do will be quite deep.Thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #66

Oh I like that idea Emma maybe with a wigwam or two in them for your runner beans or sweet peas? give height? OR if not the wigwams then maybe a trellis in between the beds on a diagonal so it does not cut straight across, for the growing of whatever veg growers grow that need to go upwards?

I like the raised beds idea, maybe to the height of your knee's so you could use the raised bed as an occcasional resting/sitting place and maybe eat your own produce?
And maybe at the start of the raised bed side or both ends you could put cold frames? so maybe you have a row of coldframes that back onto your garden patch of raised veg? How about that?

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #67

Here I go again, how about in there somewhere a pear or apple or plum tree then train the branches outwards spread/train the branches outward Espalier I think its called. So you have a nice feature and eatable fruit of your own?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #68

Good ideas Kazz, I have a cold frame already against one of my two raised beds I like the idea of a fruit tree, my dad currently has an apple tree at his which is mine (in a big pot!!! lol).When I was at the RHS Hyde hall they had climbers/fruits going up small trellis that had rope going across the top of them and the clumbers/fruits were training to grow across, it looked really good and can be done at all heights, some you could walk under and some where just so the trellis was linked

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #69

Oh well done Emma pre planing buying plants for a bottom drawer excellent idea ....... sounds good. I like that idea too of being able to eat fruit as you sit underneath the tree such as on a framework of ropes etc.