Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #61

Re: : My name is Sophia, and the RSPCA cannot be trusted. (Update @ post 105)

Like others have said, the RSPCA are flawed. I heard of some case years ago when a housecat got out, a neighbour spotted it, and called the RSPCA. The cat looked a bit raggly and thin (it was a 16 year old) and the RSPCA inspector decided to put it down there and then. Never mind scanning it to see if it was microchipped (which it was) or asking locally. Understandably the owners were upset.

Also last year there was a "feral" colony nearby (literally 200 yards from my old flat) - the neighbours were feeding them, and they called out the RSPCA. They did nothing, and in the end, the Cats Protection got them all. The neighbours over exaggerated too, saying that there was 40 cats. I say "feral" because in truth they were not. All bar 4 could be picked up easily. Out of the 4, only 1 was feral (which was released back onto the site) the other 3 were just very nervous and got homes as pets. There was only 12 cats too.

I personally called the RSPCA about a family who had 4 ringworm infested cats (the cats kept on coming onto my windowsill so I could get a good look at them) and it took 10 calls for them to do a visit. In the end, the cats were not taken away, and it was just left alone.

As for some people who said about the FIV cats, I hate them for it. My Pickle's treatment before I got him was all done on the RSPCA as the vets he was at does all the RSPCA work, but they could not rehome him from the vets due to him being FIV positive. Had he not gone to the Cats Protection he would have been pts as the RSPCA would not take him to the nearest rehoming centre.

One thing: they dont tell you the truth. They constantly put the "home for life" adverts on the telly: what they dont tell you is if they have a cat (or even dog) with a minor condition (even if manageable) or is extremely old, it is PTS. Only if you have a perfect, young animal with an easy temperament then they will get a home. That is why when I die, my cats are going back to the Cats Protection.

Where I live there are a lot of street people trying to get hold to donate £5 a month to the RSPCA. I refuse and when they do bother me I say "when you stop putting FIV kitties to sleep then I will support you". Also when we have had other small animal charities collecting I always ask about their FIV policy. If they cant answer then I dont give.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #62

can I remind you that these charities have to work within the law and can not just lift people cats with out reason. cats are not protected by law as dogs are, or you would have cat wardens and you wouldn't be allowed to let your cat out you, and you would have to poop scoop up after them, and be acountable for the protected species thay catch
the powers they do have are riddled with loop hole and have to go through so many agencies before a leanient judge lets offenders off.
so if you know anyone else who wants their job go ahead cos the cp wont the police could but dont.
I'd like to see your reaction when scooping a living animal off the road with its insides hanging out its pelvic cavity or knowing what to do with 60 cats so inbred some of there legs point upwards and they all have cronic cat flu.
could you deal with that, by 5pm when the vet shut and no one can take them,
Any ideas? cos most of you seem to think tehy could do a better job.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #63

no one is denying that there are cases where they do a fantastic job, but the simple point MANY people are trying to make is that there are far too many incidents where they don't lift a finger, don't care or destroy animals needlessly! They need to be held more accountable and more closely regulated!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #64

I just do not trust them, many times I have heard of healthy animals put to sleep!!!

Catsey Junior

11-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #65

I think most people on here think they are a waist of space.
In the eyes of the law cats are either somebodies pet and so healthy friendly stray cats are usualy are owned so it is unlawful to remove them or pick them up.
Feral cats are effectively wild animals and it is deemed cruel to cage a wild animal, or maybe some think that the terror they suffer is ok aslong as you can fix it to appease your own human values.
So how long do you keep a wild amimal caged? till the vet has a look, till you X-ray it, see if it makes it through the night, 6 monthes cage rest, till it becomes cage bound?
Cruel or not feral cats can take up kennel space for months,years while homeable cats get turned away or destroyed.
Could you decide who stays and who goes, I couln't

Catsey Junior

11-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #66

what kind of life would the unhomeable, unwanted animals have living their life in a kennel even if there was the resources which there is not. so everbody should stop donating its a real help to the animals!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
11-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #67

Every animal deserves a chance wether feral or domesticated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #68

In our branch of the CP, with feral cats who are healthy, we simply neuter and release. Therefore cutting down on any more breeding. If a feral cat is ill, we have feral pens where we will kep them (not in a vets btw), where they can recuperate before either being released, or in a high number of cases (and like 2 who I have been looking after for a few weeks), adopted as barn or stable cats and go off to live on farms. In the 2 yeras I have been with the CP, I have only seen a handful of animals PTS, and that wa due to severe health problems! And yes we have had cats take up cage space for over a year, I'd rather see that than see a perfectly healthy cat destroyed! And while that animal may be taking up space, it's amazing how quickly most rehoming actually happens. Where there is a will there is a way.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
In our branch of the CP, with feral cats who are healthy, we simply neuter and release. Therefore cutting down on any more breeding. If a feral cat is ill, we have feral pens where we will kep them (not in a vets btw), where they can recuperate before either being released, or in a high number of cases (and like 2 who I have been looking after for a few weeks), adopted as barn or stable cats and go off to live on farms. In the 2 yeras I have been with the CP, I have only seen a handful of animals PTS, and that wa due to severe health problems! And yes we have had cats take up cage space for over a year, I'd rather see that than see a perfectly healthy cat destroyed! And while that animal may be taking up space, it's amazing how quickly most rehoming actually happens. Where there is a will there is a way.
And CP have the luxury of being a cat specific charity. Thus have the resources to focus only on cats and do the best by these cats Why I would always recommend someone contacts them first regarding a cat needing rescue....
On the other hand the RSPCA/SSPCA deal with ALL animals cats, dogs, rabbit, guinea pigs, snakes, all the wild life etc. in Britain... They can't possibly board all of them, can they?
Please THINK about it.... Again, nothing is black and white there are shades of grey!
Noah has only so much room in his Ark...
Said I wasn't gonna post again on this thread, but really, is everybody so closed minded about the RSPCA?
Yes, unfortunately they can't help every animal, thats why more people should contact breed/animal specific rescue charities...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #70

There are flaws with every charity organisation but at the end of the day it's the whole system that needs changing.
It's like everything else, we always hear so many of the negatives. Bad news makes good headlines, especially in the UK.
I have, in the past, had issues with how some organisations are run, the CP being one of them. I also have huge issues over the snap testing of cats for FIV but the other side of the coin is, what are these organisations to do with the growing numbers of strays etc and limited rescources.
I personally choose not to donate to the larger organisations but I do try to support the smaller, independant rescues. Thats just my personal choice.